Miller Custom Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Allen

Miller Custom Steels

Post by Lee Allen »

Just wondering how many steel players still
Own or are playing the Miller Custom
pedal steel guitars? They were built by
Roger Miller.

Two Sho~Buds and a sore back!

Lee Allen
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Lee, it is hard to put a number on how many guitars are out there. Roger happens to be a friend of mine, played many shows with him. For the day, it wasn't a bad guitar. It looked nice, sounded ok, and actually worked. But Roger's place was flooded out and he quit. I still see a guitar pop up here and there, but I don't think the big numbers are there. I'm not sure but I believe that is a Miller on the album cover of Waylon's Honky tonk heroes, belonged to Jim Vest I believe. Not for sure though, been a long time.
Bob Simmons

Post by Bob Simmons »

yes, that was a Miller Custom you saw. Roger was a close personal friend of me and Jim. He was also a fellow model train guy. I played and built quite a few Millers-- just rebuilt and sold one recently. He built most using 23"scale and 5/16 string spacing. I still have fretboards and some other parts. Roger was another great craftsman-- his woodworking and inlaying was amasing!!! miss him
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

If memory serves, Billy Easton had a D10 ShoBud with no pedals that Roger customized into pedal steel with 8 floors and 3 knee levers. It looked like it came from the factory. This was back in the 1960's in central Illinois.

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure