? about Derby giutars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy R. Butler

? about Derby giutars

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

I am anticipating alot of replies on this but I was thinking of trying a Derby Steel Guitar. Anyone care to share their experience goog or bad.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Tommy;
You're welcome to come over to my home and try my new Burgundy D–10 Derby just about anytime! Just e-mail or give me a call at 227–3256. I’m located over on Dickerson Pike near Trinity Lane. If you play the Day setup, you'll play mine better than I do at the present time, because; I've been playing the Emmons Setup for about 48-yrs.! See it right here!
------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Burgundy D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment
Newest Steel<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 26 December 2005 at 05:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Take John up on his offer and then drive up to Brooks, KY and visit with Charlie, the builder and owner of Derby. It'll be an easy decision. Have you ever heard Ron Elliott play, or Lynn Owsley? Image
Tommy R. Butler

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

Thanks John,

I live over off I-24 near the Rutherford County Line. East bound & down I guess you could say. I play Emmons set up as well. I am in Savannah Ga right now. My band is playing tomarrow night here. I came a day early to do a session @ 3180 Media Group. www.philhadaway.com They do movie production and music. One session is an overdub for a movie trailer the other is for an artist. From there I am going to see my family for Christmas. I will be back in town next week & i'll call you.
Thanks
Tommy 615-336-5995

Hey Smiley if you read this Merry Christmas :-)

------------------
when in doubt, play something. It may just work.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Tommy, If you've never played a Derby take one of these guy's up on their offer and go try one out. Like Tim said , Charlie's a great guy to deal with and build's a very nice guitar. Listen to Ron Elliot, Llyn Owsley or Robbie Flint with Alan Jackson .

------------------
D10 Laquer Derby,SD10 Black Laquer Derby,Peavy Session 2000, Peavy Nashville 1000, Transtubefex

Arnie Craig
Restricted

Post by Arnie Craig »

I would like to Say If You Get An Offer To Check One Out I Think you'll Like It, Personally I Think The Derby Is The Steel Of The Times, As For My Preferences, And Did I Mention Charley Stepp Is An Alright Type Person To Deal With Besides.

------------------
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

Check your e-mail, Tommy.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

a friend of mine here in France just bought a Derby from a Fo'bro'
& he's happy as a pig in muck Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 24 December 2005 at 02:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

I just bought a Derby myself and I have to say that I am very impressed with it. It took 20 minutes to change the set-up from Emmons to Day. It plays and feels a good as anything I've played and it has just about the same tone of the 1970 push pull I traded to get this guitar (maybe a little sweeter).

I wanted to edit this post because I took the Derby out and played it live tonight. I feel this is the real test of a guitar is how it performs and sounds when playing in a real environment. I couldn't be more impressed. It played great, felt great stayed in tune and during the break every musician there commented about the tone of that guitar!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 28 December 2005 at 05:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

I try to go hear Ronny and Lynn every time they are within 200 miles of me. The ladies that hang around them are easy on the eyes too.

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure