6 String Lower Location

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Davis

6 String Lower Location

Post by William Davis »

My number's up to order a new Encore! So I'm deciding on the setup to fit what I'm used to and try out some new things. I've read a lot of posts and just about there. I play Day, lower E's on RKL and raise on RKR and (currently) lower S2 D# on LKR.

I' like to try the Franklin pedal on P4 (inside)and a G#-F# with a split to G. My main question: Should I use the "stock" Franklin pedal with string 6 lower or put the 6S lower on LKL...or even both? I'll probably put string 2 changes on LKL as well.

Other than a split with the B pedal, which other changes might typically be used with the 6 string lower. Considering the Day setup, I'm thinking ergonomics. I could always lower string 7 instead, but not sure where a good G would come from. Thanks for any thoughts or links.
Greg Milton

Post by Greg Milton »

Hi William,

I've always split my Franklin pedal (a la Tommy White), with strings 5 & 10 whole tone lower on a pedal and the string 6 lower on a knee lever. I would recommend having the 6 string lower on the opposite knee moving inward as your E lowers (i.e. LKR & RKL), because you're going to use it a lot with that change, and it's really easy just to squeeze your knees together!

Let us know how you go
William Davis

Post by William Davis »

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the note, and sorry about the delay. I keep getting sidetracked. Good points. You and many others seem to be splitting the B and G# lowers, and that's what I'm going with. Lower B's on P4. I think I'm going for the G# lower on LKR as well. I'm now debating leaving the 2nd string lower on the inside also or moving it to the outside. Will see. Got a feeling I'm gonna experiment some.