RockaBilly Tunings

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gary Carriger

RockaBilly Tunings

Post by Gary Carriger »

I am trying to get a young man started on steel. He has an old Fender double neck (8 string) that he wants to play "rockabilly" on. However, I play pedal steel (E9th / C6th) and am not too familar with straight steel tunings - especially 8 strings.
Could someone recommend a couple of tunings that would lend themselves to a new player - playing rockabilly?
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

I think of Carl Perkins when I hear rockabilly. His music can be done in C6 tunings.

Maybe need to go to A6 or E6 to get in the keys that are being used.

C6 for all Hank Williams, Sr.

IMHO, be careful with the tunings and gauges on the Stringmaster. Buy cheap strings and experiment.

Ron

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I think the same modified E9 and C6 tunings that you use would work well on this guitar.
E6/7 (bass to treble):
B D E G# B C# E G#
C6/Am7 (bass to treble):
A C E G A C E G

That's what I use, but I don't play rockabilly.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Cindy Cashdollar

Post by Cindy Cashdollar »

In addition to the tunings mentioned, I find that E13 works well for Rockabilly styles !

From bass to treble:

E G# D F# G# B C# E

There are different variations of this tuning of course, but I like this one the best. I use a 74 gauge for the low E, and a 56 or 58 for the low G#. This will vary depending on the scale length, etc.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I play steel with rockabilly bands and use the standard C6th tuning with an E on top.Brad Bechtel's website and Cindy Cashdollars videos are invaluable resources for getting started on steel.
Hey Cindy,I found a source for the "Hawaiian Rainbow" video you were looking for.I lost your number so I couldn't call you back,but the video is available at a website called facets.org .
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Hey guys (& gal),
Appreciate the guidance. Had the young guy over tonight. Put a C6th on one neck (I'm familar with it)- and will probably try one of the E tunings next week.
Cindy - where could he locate/order one of your videos?
Gary
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I think the C6 and E9 tunings are the best for Rockabilly.I like EBG#F#EDBE-you can wail in the top E and B strings Carl Perkins style and using the BDF# gives you a minor.
Also,since I started out in G tuing on Dobro,G6(DBGEDBGE hi to lo) is pretty good.You can use the EBE strings for boogie type rhythm riffs and middle E,B and hi D give a nice E7 sound you can switch into out of the usual open G licks.
mikey

Post by mikey »

easiest thing....same as C6...I call E6, but of course it has lot's of names...Don Helm's tuning:
L-H, A C# E G# B C# E G#....so you get a major A triad on bottom, rest is C6 tuned up to E, same intervals
and C6, A C E G A C E G or and can always tune the low A to Bb to get 7th chords or put the e on top and add a bass C and change the A to Bb...C13...of course..for just starting out there is always E7,
E G# B D E G# B E
Mike