Rains by Curtis Hogue

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Gary Kaye

Rains by Curtis Hogue

Post by Gary Kaye »

Does anyone have any experience with a Curtis made Rains?
Love to get some feedback.
Thanks
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

I have a Gary Carpenter Rains and I just love it. I have met Curtis a couple of times and he is a very nice, quite gentleman. I have ordered parts from him and always had good response. I think you would be very pleased with a Curtis Houge Rains Guitar. He has all the jigs and lots of parts and a machine shop. I would not hesitate to buy from him. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I have my D10 Rains by Gary Carpenter for sale here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 54#2818754
Jon Irsik

Post by Jon Irsik »

I bought a Rains SD-10 a few years ago and had Curtis go through it for me and change a few things. He was very good to work with and very reasonable price-wise. He was in on some of the later Carpenter builds and maintains contact with Gary from what he told me. I understand he owns the Rains name and design and still builds the guitars and repairs the older ones.

My Rains was a fine guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a guitar made or repaired by Mr. Hogue.
David Chockley

Post by David Chockley »

I have nothing but good to say about Curtis. I currently have 2 Gary Carpenter Rains, both D-10's. While I have never met Curtis face to face, I'm FB friends with him, and have bought parts, etc. and I can't say anything bad about his service, knowledge, etc. As stated before, I also believe he's in contact with Gary if any questions arise. When I bought my second Rains, I had the opportunity to get other brands, but I chose to go with Rains..... "If it ain't broke....." :)
David Chockley

Post by David Chockley »

I have nothing but good to say about Curtis. I currently have 2 Gary Carpenter Rains, both D-10's. While I have never met Curtis face to face, I'm FB friends with him, and have bought parts, etc. and I can't say anything bad about his service, knowledge, etc. As stated before, I also believe he's in contact with Gary if any questions arise. When I bought my second Rains, I had the opportunity to get other brands, but I chose to go with Rains..... "If it ain't broke....." :)
Chuck Blake

Post by Chuck Blake »

I have a GREAT 2012 Curtis Houge sd10 Guitar
Great guitars made by a great guy. And a great friend.
I also own a Gary Carpenter sd10. I love both of my Rains guitars, stays in tune, great tone.....nough said'

Curtis is a gentleman and friend
2010 Rains 3x5 SD10, 2006 Rains 3x5 SD10 Powered by Quilter Tone Block 202 and 15' and 12' Custom Speaker cabs
Dave Morrison

Post by Dave Morrison »

I agree with all the above.I just bought an SD10 and Curtis was great to deal with on parts and very reasonable on prices.
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

Curtis is a great guy. You have nothing to worry about the way he makes the Rains guitars. He is very good at it. If you get one of his, you won't be disappointed. He comes to some of our jams, and he always sounds good. I have played two of his guitars at these jams, and they play as well and better than a lot of other guitars that I have played.
Marlin Gengenbach

Rains

Post by Marlin Gengenbach »

I have a 2006 SD10 RAINS built by Bob Rains, and later,
updated with Gary's MOD's! Have talked with Curtis
since he purchased the business from Gary and have very positive vibes. The RAINS has been my favorite guitar.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Marlin,
I have a D10 that Bob built for me.
What kind of mods did Gary do on it?
I like mine just the way it is. :D
Erv
Marlin Gengenbach

Rains

Post by Marlin Gengenbach »

Essentially just shorten the pedal cranks, Erv.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Thanks, Marlin. :D
Erv
Jon-Paul Ruggieri

Post by Jon-Paul Ruggieri »

Does anyone have his contact info? I'm looking to order a new neck for my Rains. Thanks
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Message sent Jon-Paul. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.