Sho Bud Gumby key head

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Gattis

Sho Bud Gumby key head

Post by Brian Gattis »

I always liked the look of the the Gumby headstock on Sho Buds I was wondering if anybody knows the reason they designed them this way?

Thanks

Brian Gattis
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I believe that it was just cosmetic. ZB had a nice design as well. When the trend was designigning more compact and lighter weight guitars, those nice designs disappeared,
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Great question!
I won’t even pretend to know that answer ...however, the early permanents with the “duck tails” and the “gumby head”, remind me of the ~ in the Logo!?
“TONESNOB”
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I don't believe it's widely known, but according to Buddy Emmons, that keyhead was the very first piece of the guitar that Shot Jackson designed and envisioned as the Sho~Bud. He first showed it to Buddy, and Buddy said the headstock reminded him of a "shark fin", and that Shot was really proud of it. I don't know who came up with the "Gumby" monicker, but I think Buddy was right - it looks more like a shark fin than it does anything else. 8)
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Donny Hinson wrote:I don't believe it's widely known, but according to Buddy Emmons, that keyhead was the very first piece of the guitar that Shot Jackson designed and envisioned as the Sho~Bud. He first showed it to Buddy, and Buddy said the headstock reminded him of a "shark fin", and that Shot was really proud of it. I don't know who came up with the "Gumby" monicker, but I think Buddy was right - it looks more like a shark fin than it does anything else. 8)
Especially the oldest version of the headstock. The later version is more like a dolphin fin :)
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo