Gibson console grand value

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cory Dolinsky

Gibson console grand value

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

Hi,
I have a friend who wants to trade a Gibson console grand I haven’t seen it yet but he sent me a picture. I guess he doesn’t have the case or the legs. Also one of the pickups is good but the other one has half the output.

Any idea what it would be worth? He said he would trade me some music equipment I have.
Thanks
Cory
Brad Davis

Post by Brad Davis »

Asking prices of these in good condition have been rising but are still under $2k.

I think $1200 is fair for a good one.

This one needs hard-to-find legs, a case, and possibly a pickup rewind. Looks like a knob is missing and the other may not be original. Missing bridge covers, very hard to find. I think it's maybe worth up to $800-ish?
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

The immediate cons: Appears to have been refinished (no decal between the necks), missing knobs, case, legs, pickup probably needs a rewind. Hard to say from the one picture. Looks pretty nice though. $650.00-$800.00? They seem to be slow movers for some reason. I love mine.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I like those pickups better than the dog-ear ones... missing case, legs etc takes away value... the finish too... but that guitar's probably worth 600$ as-is. The legs on those weren't the best anyway, lots of folks put them on stands. Pretty wood for sure... binding looks OK.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

Thanks a lot for the help I just picked it up. I’m really excited I think it’s going to be a really nice steel.

Thanks
Cory
Mark Helm

$500-600

Post by Mark Helm »

I have to agree with Stephen. $600 tops as is.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.