Franklin Method and Facebook

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Voth

Franklin Method and Facebook

Post by Jon Voth »

Really considering joining it. Lots of videos, prob. worth more than the cost of admission.

My question is what do you get with the Facebook-do you get personal interaction w/ Mr. Franklin, communication, interaction with him and/or other members, etc.; please what do existing members get out of the Facebook option of the Method?

I've never been on Facebook and proud of it. I think it's the devil. But if it were to my advantage I might consider joining for this sole purpose. My wife pays for a service where she gets to post videos and gets feedback from Mike Marshall (Mandolin). That is really cool for her.

So please, what do members get from this-let me know-thanks!

Jon
Charley Paul

Post by Charley Paul »

I’m not aware of a Facebook only version of the lesson plan. I am a subscriber to the full lesson plan, and also joined the FB group. The group is a nice perk, but I don’t think it replaces the subscription lesson plan in terms of accessibility of lessons.

I will say that the subscription to the full lesson plan was the best thing I could have done for my steel playing. I have found it absolutely worthwhile.
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Hi Jon-

The Facebook Group is a completely optional aspect of the Method. You don't need to be a member of the Group to get everything the Method teaches. In fact, when a discussion gets deep on Facebook, we turn it into a Lesson and post it in the Method in the "Best of Facebook" module. Here's a screenshot of one of those Lessons:

It is a fun and informative place to hang out with fellow students and Group members and share progress reports, ask questions, etc. We try to keep it focused on the Method, so it's not a general-topic discussion Group. There are many groups on Facebook that do a great job of that.

There are ways to join Facebook and keep it as private as possible, you can Google how to do it if that is a concern.

Paul posts there frequently and there are several other pros on it that offer great insights and tips. Again, not at all necessary, just a nice perk, as Charley put it.

Last edited by John Spaulding on 19 Jan 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Dunkle

Re: Franklin Method and Facebook

Post by Jason Dunkle »

Hi John,

I was the very first subscriber of The Paul Franklin Method when it originally came out a year ago. I just renrolled for another year! The purpose of the Facebook group is not to replace the lessons online at mmmlearn.com, but to have a place to discuss lessons, ask questions directly to Paul, suggest future lessons, and talk about the course. You are also able to post videos of yourself playing something related to the lessons, and Paul can give you feedback. I agree with you about Facebook, but this group is like an added bonus to the course! You won't find ANY drama in that group. LOL! Paul posts on the group himself, and he comments on EVERY post that a student makes on there. He may not answer right away, but he will usually answer your question within a day or two, and when he answers, it's not a short answer. He always gives a detailed answer, and will go into great detail to try and help the student. Sometimes, the PFM Team can also answer your question, or provide feedback, which is also great. Paul is a great guy, and a great teacher. I know I've learned so much in the last year, and I love watching others progress with their playing too. You should definitely sign up for the course! It's a lot of fun! New videos added all the time. He just put 3 more up today on volume pedal. Sorry for the long reply.

Peace,
Jason

Jon Voth wrote:Really considering joining it. Lots of videos, prob. worth more than the cost of admission.

My question is what do you get with the Facebook-do you get personal interaction w/ Mr. Franklin, communication, interaction with him and/or other members, etc.; please what do existing members get out of the Facebook option of the Method?

I've never been on Facebook and proud of it. I think it's the devil. But if it were to my advantage I might consider joining for this sole purpose. My wife pays for a service where she gets to post videos and gets feedback from Mike Marshall (Mandolin). That is really cool for her.

So please, what do members get from this-let me know-thanks!

Jon
Jim Morris

Post by Jim Morris »

I can tell you the Facebook group is one of the best features of the course. Yes Paul is on the page nearly every day and always responds to your questions and will give you advice and a critique if you choose to post a video. Not only that, but their are plenty of other GREAT players, some you definitely know. That give their opinions and will also help you. It's like a family really, everyone is nice. Paul is the most down to earth man and his passion for teaching is 2nd to none. This is something Paul did to help the instrument grow and to help those of us who want to be our best achieve our goals. Paul gives detailed easy to understand PERSONALIZED advise to each student, and he will even give you homework sometimes!

ThT being said, the course itself, even without the Facebook group, is fantastic. Recently, they launched a new platform that is even more user friendly which includes the video lessons, tab, prcsrice tracks, quizzes and resources such as some theory information and more!

I've been in the method since June, and I have been playing since April of 2017. I can tell you I've learned and grown more as a player in the last 7 months than I did the whole time prior.... that is Including private lessons. Paul's method of teaching is straight forward and helps you bypass the weeds and lays out the fastest way to success. And it is growing all the time! Just today. Another FANTASTIC LESSON was added.... I think that makes 3 or 4 just this month!

I hope to see you, and anyone else in the group. I hope Paul and everyone likes me being there, because they are stuck with me for as long as I can imagine! :)
1981 Emmons P/P, P2P Bad Dawg 1x12, Benado Steel Dream, Goodrich L120 volume pedal & BJS bar
Joel Day

Facebook Group

Post by Joel Day »

I’m a well seasoned player of many years, yet Paul’s course opened up a whole new realm of things for me where I had been stagnant for quite some time. Playing semi professionally you get use to playing what is called for and not getting the time or energy to work on other stuff and challenge yourself, but I have made myself go through these lessons and have learned more in a short time than I could have ever pulled off on my own. And I’ll be continuing to do so and pick up things I can use and help me to understand my way around the instrument even better for a long time to come. New stuff comes out all the time also.
The FaceBook part or “Group” is a nice touch to interact with other players and asked questions, get some feedback, pick up examples etc. Paul posts some nice links to things that I’d probably have to search hard for, but then he’ll also point out stuff about that video or style of playing and the whys of it or what he likes that the person is doing.
You can post your own videos if you want of something you’re working on and get some feedback from Paul or other players also.
Basically, you can dive into it as hard as you want or as basic as you want and it’ll cover it all. You won’t be disappointed...
Franklin D10 9/7
Emmons Lashley LeGrand D10 8/7 Strayhorn model.
Emmons Lashley ll D10 9/9
Jackson Dobro
Fender Stringmaster deluxe 8 string single neck-1967
72 Fender tele
Milkman 300 1/2 & 1/2
Eminence Speakers
BJS
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

I've got to chime in with another testimonial. Paul is an amazing teacher, the course is an amazing piece of pedagogy, and the Facebook group is a great place for comments, critique, and camaraderie.

One thing nobody else has mentioned: I get an immense amount from *outside* the main stream of the lessons, whether it's some untabbed bit of music I like and have to work out on my own or, like yesterday, a strong reminder of how important *every note* is, not just the general outlines of what you're playing, but *this* note *now*. Nominally, that was a lesson about counterpoint, but for me yesterday, it was a reminder of the true nature of music.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Sandro Rocco

Post by Sandro Rocco »

How does one get added to the Facebook group? I’ve recently signed up for the method.
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Sandro Rocco wrote:How does one get added to the Facebook group? I’ve recently signed up for the method.
Hi Sandro-

The Facebook Group is reserved for those enrolled in The Paul Franklin Method.

You are enrolled in the Foundations course, which does not have access to the Facebook Group.
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

I've been curious about the course for awhile, but I play a 12 string extended E9 with some unusual changes. What copedent is necessary to be compatible with the course? I'm thinking obviously the A-B-C pedals and a knee to lower the E's and another to raise them. What else beyond that?
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Dennis Montgomery wrote:I've been curious about the course for awhile, but I play a 12 string extended E9 with some unusual changes. What copedent is necessary to be compatible with the course? I'm thinking obviously the A-B-C pedals and a knee to lower the E's and another to raise them. What else beyond that?
Hi Dennis-

The standard Emmons setup is the default.

The great thing about Paul's approach is that he teaches you to look at the guitar as intervals. It does not matter what pedals/levers you have or where you place them or what tuning you are using: standard, extended, universal or whatever. We have universal and extended tuning students in the Course.

All of the concepts taught apply to any tuning. The C6 lessons are applicable to the E9 (and vice-versa), because it's not a "Here's some licks that will work" course, it is an actual Method. You are taught musicianship as applied to a pedal steel guitar.

Some TABs may not exactly fit the tuning and copedent you may have, but they are merely examples illustrating a concept. The challenge is to absorb the concept and apply it to your guitar.

Have you checked out the free Test Drive yet? Test Drive

You can get an idea of what the Lessons are like and what navigating the site looks like.

Thanks!
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

John Spaulding wrote:
Dennis Montgomery wrote:I've been curious about the course for awhile, but I play a 12 string extended E9 with some unusual changes. What copedent is necessary to be compatible with the course? I'm thinking obviously the A-B-C pedals and a knee to lower the E's and another to raise them. What else beyond that?
Hi Dennis-

The standard Emmons setup is the default.

The great thing about Paul's approach is that he teaches you to look at the guitar as intervals. It does not matter what pedals/levers you have or where you place them or what tuning you are using: standard, extended, universal or whatever. We have universal and extended tuning students in the Course.

All of the concepts taught apply to any tuning. The C6 lessons are applicable to the E9 (and vice-versa), because it's not a "Here's some licks that will work" course, it is an actual Method. You are taught musicianship as applied to a pedal steel guitar.

Some TABs may not exactly fit the tuning and copedent you may have, but they are merely examples illustrating a concept. The challenge is to absorb the concept and apply it to your guitar.

Have you checked out the free Test Drive yet? Test Drive

You can get an idea of what the Lessons are like and what navigating the site looks like.

Thanks!
Thanks for the info John. Sounds very different than other courses I've investigated...I just might take that test drive ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Dennis-

Great! There's a complete list of every Lesson here: Paul Franklin Method

Just click on the module and all of the lessons in that module will expand in a drop-down.

Here's the Scales and Harmony section.

Image[/img]
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Thanks all for your reply.

I will probably do it in a couple months or so. And join the Facebook thing. Just need to find a way of using it for this resource only. Hating Facebook is my personal issue and I'm sure there's a way for me to feel comfortable.

I'm confident it's worth it, and think the group will add so much to it. Mr. Franklin is a gentleman and great that he spends so much of his time with it.

Thanks again!

Jon
Bruce W. Roberts

Facebook

Post by Bruce W. Roberts »

I am a recent subscriber to the beginner course that started. How do I sign up for the facebook? Thanks
John Spaulding

Re: Facebook

Post by John Spaulding »

Bruce W. Roberts wrote:I am a recent subscriber to the beginner course that started. How do I sign up for the facebook? Thanks
Hi Bruce-

The Facebook Group is reserved for those enrolled in The Paul Franklin Method.

You are enrolled in the Foundations course, which does not have access to the Facebook Group.

Any inquiries about the Method or the Foundations course can be sent to info@modernmusicmasters.com

Thanks,

John
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

The private Facebook group is the "hidden gem" of the Paul Franklin Method. The Method itself is fantastic, as I'm sure you've gathered...lots of great info, hours and hours of video covering every aspect of playing pedal steel, and PDFs of written exercises. Enough to last a lifetime! But the Facebook group allows you to ask questions and get feedback from Paul and other students in the Method. Lots of students, myself included, will post a video of something they're working on or having trouble with, which is a great way to interact with Paul and other students. It's a really nice community, mostly because it is so focused on people learning these particular concepts.

If you're reluctant to sign up for Facebook, remember that you can always just create an account with a made-up name and use it solely for this purpose. You don't have to tell anyone else you're there or post any personal info if you don't want to!
William Brunson

the paul franklin method

Post by William Brunson »

great class. 2nd to none. paul is a very good teacher. he has to be if i am learning something !!!!
Bruce W. Roberts

Beginners Program

Post by Bruce W. Roberts »

Thanks John,

The beginner's program is very informative and helpful. Still going through it.