What was your first pedal steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Emmons Student S-10 3+1. It sounded great, but I found it a bit 'challenged' in the playability department. AB pedals worked OK, but C pedal and E-lever were problematic. But it did get me going.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Mudgett on 04 February 2005 at 09:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
kbdrost

Post by kbdrost »

A white mica BMI 3 & 3, bought new from Mr. Beck about 1977. A great starter guitar. I saw someone around here recently who got one from Bobbie Seymour and it brought back a lot of memories.

------------------
Ken Drost
steelcrazy after all these years
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

A 1956, quad-8 (total of 32),six pedal BIGSBY steel guitar; rec'd it new in 1956, custom made to my order and still have it. It looks like "new"!
kbdrost

Post by kbdrost »

White mica BMI 3 & 3, bought new from Zane about 1977. Some guy around here recently got one from Bobby Seymour and it brought back a lot of memories.

------------------
Ken Drost
steelcrazy after all these years
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Student Model Emmons, purchased for me by the group I was playing for. I think they gave $225 for it. That was in 1977. I had been borrowing my Dad's ShoBud Pro 1 and he needed it! The tone of that Emmons was incredible! Two years later Dad and I both bought Emmons PP guitars, which we still have. I have tried to get the Student model back, but no luck so far.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Bought an MSA semi-classic, 3 pedals, one knee lever, new in 1973. Played it at home and professionally for 20 years with never a problem! Then I traded up to get more knee levers - Wish I'd done that years sooner. Today I play a 2003 Zum, and a 1977 MSA with 4 knee levers. The MSA plays as smoothly and easily as the Zum, slightly longer travel in the pedals.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

1. Sho~Bud Maverick 3p - 1k

2. Sho~Bud LDG 3p - 4k

2. Mullen S-10 dbl frame 3p - 4k

4. Emmons Lasley LeGrande II 8p - 4k

5 (current) Carter D-10 8p - 9k
Ray Riley

Post by Ray Riley »

Mine was a National 6 string Mother of pearl black, which I still have and still works, a Fender triple neck, gone now, a Fender 1000, gone now , a sho-bud proIII,in the process of going and a Sho-bud s-12 which I still am trying to play. Have great day. Ray

------------------
Sho-Bud S-12 and a brand new N112
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Natural maple Maverick 3+0 (cq--no knee lever; I think a KL was an option when these were new). Bought it used in '82, sold it, bought it back, sold it again. Say what you will (and many of you will and have) about Mavericks, at least I could make sound come out of that one. Not so my fourth PSG, the infamous and arthritic '69 ZB D-10 8+3. My 0-five New Year's Resolution (having already paid a furnituremaker friend $250 to build a custom case--yeah, go find an original >36" interior length hsc) was to get it fixed up (same story as in a previous thread, so feel free to bail if this sounds redundundundant). Early on the Saturday morning I was going to take it to Buckowensfield (to a respected Forumite), my car was totaled in the West Coast's Old Testament deluges (unfortunately, the ZB was at home). A month later, I have no settlement and every penny I can shake out of the sofa cushions will have to go toward a replacement 10-year-old Olds (or Buick) of some sort. Restoration and lessons are now a distant pipe dream in the financial wake of towing, rental and repairs to my '86 Astro van (bought for my Sept. '03 move and never intended to be a passenger vehicle.) Twenty-three years later and I'm way downhill from where I started--and no better a player, despite all intentions and expenditures.
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

A Gibson Console Grand, some welding rods, a door hinge, a 1X4, and a drill bit. Played it til I found a Fender 1000.
db

Post by db »

Built it:
www.bigsbypalmpedals.com

------------------
Dan Balde
U-12/8&5, S-7/D 3&1, S-6/E,A & G3

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by db on 13 February 2005 at 06:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

My first Steel with (1)-pedal was an early ’50's Fender Stringmaster, but; my first Real PSG was one of the first–(5) Sho-Buds in ’57.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

Gibson Electraharp---four pedals between the two left legs---on-off button and bass to treble button on top front of the guitar....'burnt' up in a fire in a club in Chicago, along with a '59 Stratocaster, amp, trumpet and stage clothes...fire set by clubowner; no insurance, Image
Eddie D.Bollinger

Post by Eddie D.Bollinger »

Hey Lem! This is a neat Thread.

I started with a Little Buddy 3+1 with
a built-in volume control.

#2 a (Sho-Bud Made)Fender Student 10(3+1)

#3 a Emmons D-10 (8+4) push-pull

#4 a 1984 Sho-Bud Super Pro (8+6)(Stolen)

#5 a 1995 Emmons Legrande II (8+7) Should
Have been yellow (lemon)

#6 Currently a 1998 Carter D-10 (8+5)

Ed
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

A 1969 ZB Custom D10 8by3 bought new in that year and am still playing it but rarely. The pedals still mash as hard as they ever did but the tone is fantastic. I recently bought a BMI S10 3by 4 which has a better tone and the pedals mash too easy. We yankees say push.

------------------
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Hey Eddie,
The Carter you've got now is the only one of yours that I've heard, and man o' man does that one ever sound great! I remember hearing you play it at some of Jimmy Roby's steel shows and always thought what an awesome sounding guitar it was.

Lem
Walter Hamlin

Post by Walter Hamlin »

Sho-Bud Maverick, Fender Twin amp. In 1977.
Ronnie Burks

Post by Ronnie Burks »

a fender 400 in the late 50,s---
David Ziegler

Post by David Ziegler »

I have only been playing for 4 months now and it has been on the much maligned "Maverick". I have read all of the venom spewed at the maverick but I am here to tell you that it was in my price range and it sounds great and if it wasn't for that sweet little blond(maple that is)I probably would not be playing steel right now, I would still be saving up and wondering if the plunge is worth the investment. Thank God fo my little Maverick!
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I too started on a Sho-Bud student. Only it was 30 years ago !

Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

MSA Sidekick and a few months later a ZB Custom SD-10 3x4 Beautiful to look at and hard as heck to keep in tune.

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

Don't know if this counts or not but my first pedal steel was a 3 neck Rickenbacker, 2 eight string necks, 1 ten. I managed somehow to rig up the Bud Isaccs(?) change on one of the eight string necks. Crude but worked rather well. My first real pedal steel was a Fender 1000.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

A Fender 1000. (Excluding homemade pedals on a Rickenbacker triple 8). Jody.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

A Fender made by Shobud. It was a Maverick with black tolex covering and an amp nameplate on it.

Hated it. I was too tall for it, instructional materials (there were no teachers around here then) called for the second knee lever almost right away, it didn't stay in tune - kept it for about a year but really only played it a few times. It was far too frustrating. This was at least 15 years ago.

My next was an MSA D10, about which there have been several threads on this forum. It was a disaster. Finally got it playable, but it's just not my style.

Now I'm playing/learning on a Fender 400 in A6 with 6 pedals and loving it.