Steve Takacs

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

b0b wrote:So shocked and sad to hear this. Steve was a model "Forumite", and a great ambassador for the steel guitar in China. He became a Forum member in 1998! I'll miss him.

Sincere condolences to his family.

:cry:
What Bob said sad day here
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

My Condolences,So sad and what a great guy.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Wow...shocking and sad news. We've lost one of our own.
Vaya con Dios, Steve...
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Oh man, that's so sad. When I was living in Beijing in 2013/14 we were in touch often though we never managed to meet. I had a crazy work schedule and, well, it's a huge city. He was nice enough to lend me his Stage One so I could at least practise a little. I always felt I never thanked him enough for this. What a nice guy.
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm sorry to hear this sad news. I always enjoyed Steve's input on the Forum. He had a great sense of humor and a true passion for pedal steel guitars, I will miss seeing his posts. My condolences go out to all of his family and friends.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Sad news. Steve spent some time here in the UK during the 1970's, and was a visitor to the Sho~Bud shop in London. RIP Steve.
Last edited by Ken Byng on 4 Feb 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Don Kuhn

Post by Don Kuhn »

I always enjoyed reading his posts on here like many others. It is sad for his family and the Forum commuinity. God Speed Steve and now you can RIP.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Steve will be missed. RIP.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a real shame. He was a prolific contributor to the Forum. RIP Steve.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Very sad news. I always enjoyed his many contributions..RIP Steve and thanks...
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

So sorry to lose Steve. A great guy and a true forum brother.
Heartfelt Condolences to all .
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Steve was definately a "good'un". I've traded emails and PM's with him a number of times. He also bought a Millennium from me about 6 months ago - I hated to sell it, but I was broke and still recovering from the hurricane that hit St John 16 months ago. I suppose I would have found a way to get by if he had not bought it, but that money kept me going until I could sell my house. Condolences to his family, and I hope Steve is in Steel Guitar Heaven!
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Bruce Meyer

Post by Bruce Meyer »

Wow. Sorry to hear this. Steve was a long time stalwart on the forum. Always had good information and help. Condolences to all.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Very sad to see this.....I didn't know Steve and never had any dealings or communication with him....but he was a mainstay good guy who I felt that I knew because of his long time participation and interaction with others....I never knew him, but I will miss him....Rest Well Steve...
Chris Watkins

Steve

Post by Chris Watkins »

Wow this is very sad news Steve was a great guy indeed we done a lot of business together as well as just talked about different guitars and amps this is a great loss for the fourm may God bless his family in this time🙏
Patrick Sullivan

Post by Patrick Sullivan »

I bought a banjo from Steve in October. Sending a personal check across the country to someone you don't know is like flying without a net, you have no recourse if something goes wrong. Relying on his SG forum history I sent the check. He kept apologizing for his delayed responses because he was in the hospital at the time. Regardless, he communicated well and had his friend ship the banjo to me. Steve was as nice as they come, honorable and a gentleman in trying times. RIP buddy.
C E Holden

Post by C E Holden »

VERY saddened to hear this, although not too surprised. I've known, chatted with, and traded instruments with Steve for 20 years. We never met in person, but we kept in touch via the Forum and email. If too much time went by, one or the other of us would reach out and say hi and just check in. The last couple of times I corresponded with Steve, he did not seem himself; his messages were disjointed and confused. He told me he was having a hard time with his surgeries and that the move back to to the U.S. had really taken a toll on him. We bantered back and forth about a blue lacquer Mullen he had for sale, but he was in the middle of figuring out medical bills and physically unable to handle any kind of packing or shipping of anything. The last email I sent to him went unanswered, but I didn't think too much of it, and it wasn't of any urgency anyway. But, as weeks (and then months went on), I hadn't heard from him, and I began to get a bad feeling. I'd actually checked the "Extended Family" and "Gone Home" sections a couple of times to see if anyone had posted any news about him.
November begins a very busy time for my wife and I, and we are on the run until, well, right about now. I actually got on this evening to track Steve down and see what's what. That's when I found this post, that he had passed back in November, and I had no idea. Not that I would've; we only ever communicated through email, and I didn't have his U.S. phone number. Anyway, I feel I've lost a friend...though we never met in person. We always planned to meet in person one day, which seemed more likely since he'd retired and returned to the States.
I sent him pictures of my daughter when she was born-- January 20, 2001--and was intending to share pictures with him from her 18th birthday party, which was yesterday.

Rest in Peace, Steve. Hopefully we'll finally meet in the next life.
"il brutto"
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Nice thoughts CE. Steve was a good guy. Sad times.
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Yet another passing that leaves me so very sad. He along with Chris Ivey were among some of the cornerstone participants on this forum. RIP Steve. You were a great guy and will be missed by all of us.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Memorable post and string by Steve..

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Sad news indeed. We corresponded a few times. Steve was welcoming and informative. Enjoyed his posts here. RIP Steve.
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Terrible news!
Steve has always been a great contributor and nice guy for the entire time I've been here, over a decade.

I'll remember him this way. :(
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Jon Zimmerman

😧

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

I hadn't seen any posts on the Forum from Steve, and I assumed he was tasking the return move back to the States (.. to Fargo? ) from his extended stay in Beijing. Now I too am stunned to hear of the real reason.. I too felt my head spinning, when I heard from a Forum bro just today, of the sad turn of events.
My heart aches for Roz, who I never met, but was Steve's soulmate.... he mentioned her support quite a lot. Yes indeed, among so many companions, who now must carry on without him, both here and abroad.
More than a decade has flown past, as I recall my tentative steps to get acquainted with this boundless resource b0b makes so easy to access. Closing in on my retirement age, Steve had many practical gems of advice to offer to the 're-new'by on his learning curve, seeking to navigate the vast, strange Ethernet train ride.
A quantum leap for this late bloomer.
My thanks to you, Steve..wherever your spirit now dwells...and those like you, who think of folks who struggle more than themselves..unselfishly. That rare quality and depth of compassion we all should cherish.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

so sad to learn of the loss of a great contributer to knowledge of the steel guitar.