Weird George L cable problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I have a George L cable that continuity on both the positive and ground checks out perfect with my meter, 000.0, but it doesn't work in anything I plug it into. I removed the plugs on both ends and cut off about an inch, then re-installed the plugs. Continuity checked perfect, cord didn't work. Took the ends back off and removed a little of the cable rubber covering so the ground shielding wire was exposed. Put the plugs back on and once again, continuity checked out perfect, but cord doesn't work. Never, ever seen a cord that checks out perfectly with a meter not work. Must be something wrong with one of the plugs, but if that is true, I don't think I would be getting continuity. So the cable sits here staring at me daring me to solve it's mystery. Any ideas?
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Check from the barrel on one end to the tip on the other end..should be no continuity. This test would also work checking between the tip and barrel on the same end, come to think of it! :). If you're getting a 0.00 reading, I would suspect a short..there's usually a .01/.03 reading.. hope this helps.
Randy Owens

Post by Randy Owens »

I've never worked with George L cable before so I don't know if this helps at all but it might help someone who uses other brands of cable:

I use only Mogami instrument cable and had the same thing happen on my first cable. No matter how good the solder joints were, the cable showed a dead short. As it turns out, the center conductor's insulator has a thin black covering on it that is conductive. If any of that black coating touches the tip's solder connection, a dead short to the shield will occur no matter how well the conductors are soldered. It was a simple prep and trim issue and not the cable or connectors.
2003 Mullen Royal Precision, Walker Stereo Steel, Ampeg G-15, Telonics FP-100
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I would say one of a couple of things.

Possible slight break where the cable may have been bent at some point in time.
Possible broken pin in one of the plugs.

Or improper installation of the plugs. Very common that people tighten the set screw too tight.

Here are instructions.

If nothing works contact me. I will repair for you and if i can't i will replace it for you. You just pay shipping

Bill
Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 28 Dec 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Patrick Sullivan

Post by Patrick Sullivan »

Hello Mr. Kimery,

The way I read your post, there is no continuity between the tip (positive) and barrel (ground) of each cable connector. Is there continuity from tip-to-tip and from barrel-to-barrel? If not, check continuity between both ends of the cable's center conductor and same for the outer conductor. There are only four possibilities: bad connection, bad connector, broken wire or a problem with the devices into which the cable is plugged. I have experienced all of those at times.

If you've tried this stuff, please don't take offense. I'm not dissing your abilities, just trying to help you or any other readers.
Chuck Stowe

Post by Chuck Stowe »

I had a straight end one time that the positive pin inside the plug was broken. May have been a one time thing, never has seen that before.
1980 Emmons PP D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500 & Nashville 112
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Chuck Stowe wrote:I had a straight end one time that the positive pin inside the plug was broken. May have been a one time thing, never has seen that before.
I have 2 of those. Bummer.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Richard, if you will call George L's and talk to Sandy.
She will replace those for you. You will need to send the old ones back.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Thanks Bill.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Buck Grantham

Richard

Post by Buck Grantham »

try another cord in the guitar if that don,t work ,change the the plugs on the end of the cord . If that don,t work you,ve got a break in the cord itself that you can,t see. Hope this helps --- Buck Grantham
Music to light up your life
ajm

Post by ajm »

George Kimery: Did you get it figured out yet?
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I really appreciate everybody that has tried to help. I am a bit confused, which is not uncommon for me, but most of the solutions offered ignored that I said it was getting 100% continuity, every way that could be checked. I have been making and working on guitar cables for 50 years. I always check everything with a meter, including tip to tip, barrell to barrell, and barrell to tip. I even check the plug barrell to tip to make sure the plug is not bad. I tried 3 different amps, going direct from guitar to amp, I tried bypassing everything, including the guitar. Just the cord plugged directly into 3 different amps. It would not work on any of them. I have been using George L cords exclusively for at least 10 years, so I think I have learned how to properly install the plugs.

I just now tried it again and it works fine. I did nothing. I wiggled the cord in the ends of the plugs to see if I was getting a solid connection, no problem. Unless somebody has a better solution, I am just going to say it was a ghost residing in the cable and decided to move on and leave it at that.
Patrick Sullivan

Post by Patrick Sullivan »

ghosts happen.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Gremlins. I fought them for over 10 years when I was playing guitar at our church.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Gremlins.....

Isn't that a brand of steel guitar?