Carter pedal steel wanted

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stein Austrud

Carter pedal steel wanted

Post by Stein Austrud »

Hi
Can someone tell me when this pedal steel is made?
What is it worth? It’s in very nice condition.

Best from stein, Norway

Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

It's worth about $1800, in my opinion. Solid guitar. Light weight and very smooth action.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

I've owned 3 Carter's and still have one plus most other brands. I kinda collect pedal steels. Great guitars and worth much more to me than what they bring on the market. They sold cheaper than other comparable steels and not because they were inferior but because Carter mass produced their steels to bring the price down and consequently there is a lot of them out there which drove the used prices down even more. As a guy that has built a half dozen steels myself they are worth far more than what they bring. Try to take $1800.00 and build one yourself and you'll see what I mean. If $1800.00 is all I could get for it being a steel player I would keep it and play it. If it's useless to you then sell it for what somebody is willing to give. Some of the world's best players are still playing Carter pedal steels. Bud Carter was a mechanical genuis and was one of the top inovators of pedal steels starting with MSA.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

AMEND David, Bud Carter was The Man. A very quite and gentle man on top of that. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

I have a nice Black sd10 3 an 5 Carter for sale on the forum, but I’m pretty sure it’s sold
My price is $2150 plus ride.
There at the top of my list for pedal an knee action just a joy too play!!!!!
I agree Bud was as good a man as he was steel player. An aPro Steel player.
Tom Belliveau

Post by Tom Belliveau »

I'm new to the forum , but a long time steel player. I have two Carters . One a a blue mica I purchased around 1980 and a LE Birdseye Maple 2007 both U12. I've been happy with both. Between dealing with Bud or John Fabian they very helpful with my setup or any conserns. Unfortunately they're both passed. If purchase a Carter, I you'll happy with it. Tom ( Ducky ) Belliveau