please close

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
john widgren

please close

Post by john widgren »

Beautiful Black Zumsteel Center pull 1991 D-10. 8X8 Emmons set up. Complete "changers off" mechanical restoration/rebuild. Truetone pickups (changed from BL910s). Original factory Black tuners, and very cool non colored fretboards. Original VG cond mica and flocking.

Sounds and plays like a dream. Its a really good one.

Last edited by john widgren on 8 Jan 2019 1:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

WOW John, What a Beauty. Looks near perfect. Good Luck. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

Hi John. Could you explain you mean by “center pull” ? Was that a feature that changed later?
And the “changers off” restoration?
Thanks, John
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I’m assume he means it has the earlier comb bellcranks where the rod is centered & that the changers were removed, disassembled, cleaned & lubricated. The bellcranks & pull rods were changed in the later years to what I suppose you would call side pull.
john widgren

Zum Zum

Post by john widgren »

Yes John Danny is exactly correct. Center pull comb style bellcranks, and the pedal rods attach on the center axis of the cast pedals. The strings attach to the changer with pins rather than slots. I think the pin mount system has a sound that I prefer...not everyone hears it.

See the following post about the work:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... t=zumsteel
Last edited by john widgren on 5 Dec 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hey John, Still waiting for that sound bite/clip. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Stunning !
Wrap on the Trutones? What is the knee lever configuration? Verticals for both necks? Two E9 LKLs by chance?
Thanks . . . .
john widgren

Zoom Zoom

Post by john widgren »

Hey Doug Thanks! 17.8 on E9 and 17.5 on C6 for those TT's, and yup an extra LL stag. So: LKL LKLfwdstag LKV LKR CKL CKR RKL RKR

Hey JR! Hi Bud! I'm looking for a upgrade mic for my cell phone...then I'll do some clips. Thanks fer aksin..

Best to yuz,

JW
Steel Guitar Services:
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Timothy Kelly

Post by Timothy Kelly »

This guitar is incredible. I've had the opportunity to play many of John's geetars and this one just screams! Someone is going to be very happy.
Richard Delucchi

Post by Richard Delucchi »

John hope you are well. I purchased a hybrid from John and you can't ask for aa better man to deal with. Good luck
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Nice guitar.....I prefer those center-pull bellcranks. They make balancing changes so easy. I used to place my tuning wrench on the changer tuning nut but and push the rod forward until the pin cleared the bell crank slot and move it up or down to another slot as needed. Then, it’s just a matter of tweaking the tuner to pitch. It would take all of a minute to perform.
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

What year did the pin center mount bellcranks end, and the side mount or others begin?

I love my Zum S12 but those center pins have popped out in the past, leaving me no idea which comb they were in. Unless you took photos, you have trial and error until you get back what you had.
John
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

John,
From what I can gather, I think the change was around the year 2000. :D
Erv
Eric Denmark

Post by Eric Denmark »

Stunning!!
john widgren

Comb Crank

Post by john widgren »

John G. Perhaps too much back-slack? Anyway...if you do require/like a lot of back-slack, there are lots of solutions to prevent the "T"rods from slipping out, or you could go to your worst offender and put a small dot on the Crank at the slot you use with a sharpie.

Thanks to all for inquiries and kind words.

Best,

JW
Steel Guitar Services:
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

John Goux -- the change in the bellcranks was about 1997, I had a 97 Zum which had the new bellcranks, but still the older style centre pull pedals and pedal bar.. the pedals were changed to the side pull about 2001, along with an extruded pedal bar ...which all carried forward to the last and latest builds from Bruce.(including the Hybrids)
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
john widgren

Black zum

Post by john widgren »

TTT
Steel Guitar Services:
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
john widgren

ZumblyZoo

Post by john widgren »

Well still no decent Mic so heres another "on the fly" phone video which does not do this great guitar justice at all, (Neither does my playing)...The high strings dont Zizz the way they sound on the vid..its the mic. The highs are actually very creamy. Anyway i'll try to get something with better audio soon, but in the meantime...here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKVr3-ErXs
Steel Guitar Services:
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Beautiful playing John. Such lush chord voicings and superb technique. Thanks for posting! That guitar sounds just gorgeous with you playing it. I can't imagine a better steel guitar for someone to find under the tree :)
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thank You John, Very, Very Nice. I enjoyed very much. J.R.
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

Two thumbs up. One for the playing and another for the guitar.
John
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Very nice John! And a great sounding guitar as well. Makes me wanna go get my Buddy Emmons Christmas CD tab out and learn something. :lol:
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

Lovely playing John. I love the sparkle you get with your touch and intonation. It sounds gooood! Sweet guitar fuh sho.

Leo G
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

John, great playing, and I hear a lot of Buddy in your style.
Scott Truax

Zum...

Post by Scott Truax »

John,

That was E-9 SWEET... Beautiful....

Merry Christmas !!!

Scott Truax... Fl.