Boss Katana 100 with a Travis Toy speaker

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Gould

Answers

Post by John Gould »

I bought the guitar used so I'm not totally sure about that. I just know it's not noisy and sounds pretty good to me.
If I had to make a guess I think they are 710's

James, I think the perceived volume difference had to do with the frequency response difference in the area that at least my ears are sensitive to . I'm sure if I had eq'ed the amps for each speaker individually there would have been less difference .
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

John,
Thanks for doing this test.....My ears hear certain frequencies louder,or at least as you say perceived to be louder....I have to admit that I had my doubts earlier in this thread when you made mention of the Basslite speaker sounding similar to the TT.....I’m glad you continued the thread to prove your point....You surely opened my eyes/ears !!....Jim
Josephus Vroomans

cab modeling

Post by Josephus Vroomans »

Thanks for doing the test John. I decided to order the Basslite S2012 speaker. I received it Friday and like you said, swapping the speaker in the Mustang III was no problem at all.
Still using my same settings as with the original speaker I noticed a nice improvement in tone. I'm using the '65 Twin Reverb amp model, and the 65 Twin cab model.
I also copied your exact Studio Preamp settings from this topic, but unfortunately was unable to reproduce the sound from your test video. Maybe it's my guitar, or my limited playing skills. Probably both! However, after some tweaking with the eq and reverb settings it started sounding better.
So far I haven't been able to get a decent tone without using any cab modeling. No matter what eq settings I use, I'm getting a 'boxy'sound. As soon as I dial in a cab model like the 65 Twin or 2x12C I like the tone a lot better.
Anyway, so far I'm very pleased with the S2012. Thanks for all the work you did.
Stage One licensed by Zumsteel, Boss Katana 100, Gretsch Electromatic G5715, Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe Square Neck
John Gould

Joesephus

Post by John Gould »

There are lots of variables to getting tone . I run of course a different pedal Steel . I have a buffered Volume pedal that would make a difference . Also picks and picking technique can make a difference in tone. I'm glad your happy with the S2012 , I played a guitar gig on my Mustang amp this passed weekend and was able to get some great tones from my Telecaster guitars .
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II