please close. thanks!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Gurman

please close. thanks!

Post by Dan Gurman »

Last edited by Dan Gurman on 6 Dec 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Lambert

Re: who builds completely custom pedal steels?

Post by Greg Lambert »

Dan Gurman wrote:does anyone know of anyone who would build a pedal steel exactly how i want? cabinet size, etc.

thanks guys,

dan
Probably all of them for a price.. Their all great guys.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Show-Pro,Mullen,Desert Rose,MSA,Justice,Excel,Williams.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Benjamin Davidson

Post by Benjamin Davidson »

What specifically are you looking for?

Most companies out there have multiple cabinate options and pedal/knee configurations. A little more info from you Dan, and I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction.

I've got a Justice shipping to me as we speak, I would say is exactly how I want it.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I think it's true to say that most steels are built to order and very few are for stock.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

I guess it depends on what you mean by completely custom. If you went to a manufacturer with a silly idea and asked him to build it, he might reasonably say no, if he doesn't want his name on some loser guitar. Or if you weren't prepared to pay for him to tool up to build a six legged s10
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Jeremy makes some very important points.

I built custom bicycle frames for many years, they were totally custom in that they were built to fit the individual and serve their intended purpose (off road, road, touring, track, etc.)....but I did not on all but a few special occasions allow a customer to "design" their own bike. You can bet I had some pretty bizarre requests over the years. I had a "brand" to manage (as I do with Sierra) so it was (is) of utmost importance that everything I sold followed the design ethic and parameters established in the building of that brand. Of course the ethic and parameters can change as time marches on due to technology, market trends and such. But one off requests are seldom the reason for those changes.

Also mentioned is the cost of "tooling up" or making special one off parts to suit a customer's own goals. For instance, all the Sierra's I build are custom made for their owners and I'll consider just about any idea someone has....but when it comes to something like body size...that would likely entail custom endplates which would be prohibitively expensive to produce. Ditto for other one off parts needed to fulfill and individual's desires.

All that said....I'm interested in learning what ideas Dan has for a "completely custom" steel. You never know when someone's wild hair might be an eye opener.
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Can you expound on the custom things you'd want?

I can see things like pedal spacing, cabinet/leg height, special knee lever design or placement, but beyond that, I'm not sure what would need to be custom.

Like cabinet size, most manufacturers have a cabinet that's big enough to allow any custom layouts mentioned above.