Stoney Stonecipher

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Sid Spiva

Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Sid Spiva »

I am saddened to announce that Stoney Stonecipher passed away this evening. He made such an impact on the Steel Guitar World from his home in East Tennessee to the International Steel Guitar Community. He will be greatly missed. Prayers to the family.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Rest in Peace Stoney . . . . you were a very dear friend to me.

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

This is very sad news. In early 1998, I'd heard about Stoney from a friend and how he was a steel guitarist. I'd just gotten interested in playing steel guitar, and in August of 1998, I went to Dollywood, wondering which show featured Stoney playing steel, so I went to a show featuring Dolly's family and a burgundy or plum colored Emmons was sitting onstage and Stoney was tuning it. I didn't have much time to talk with him before the show started, but after the show, I introduced myself and told him I wanted to play the steel guitar, and after I told him about my cerebral palsy, he said, even with your left hand the way it is, I believe you can do it". He gave me some tips, telling me I needed to rent a steel before I bought one, so I rented a Sierra Artist S-10 for two or three days and loved it, then the next time I saw him, I'd just gotten my Emmons, and every time I came to Dollywood, he would always ask me to sit in front of the steel guitar. He also gave me a pair of Kyser fingerpicks to practice with, and every day, even before I had a steel, I'd practice steel playing techniques, and in 2000, he let me sit behind the burgundy or plum colored Emmons. RIP Stoney
Last edited by Brett Day on 11 Nov 2018 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandra Scott-Wall

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

This is sad news indeed. Stoney was a major part of the ISGC for many, many years and a good friend to Scotty and all of our family. All of us are deeply saddened. RIP Stoney!
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Sad news. Stoney was such a part of the ISGC for many years, and I always enjoyed talking with him. My condolences to Stoney's friends and family.
Chuck
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Rest in peace friend.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Sad news. Prayers for his family and friends.

Tony
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

This is such sad news. Stoney was a great friend of mine for many years through our association with the ISGC and the many years I played keyboards at his show in Knoxville. Our prayers for his family. Rest in peace dear friend.
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Oh no, that is terrible news. He was such a kind man and an integral part of the ISCG. Rest in Peace, my friend.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Thanks for the news Sid. Like many of you, I spent several years at Stoney's Knoxville show and enjoyed his MC work at the big ISGC in St. Louis. Very unselfish man with a dedication to the steel guitar.

I think I only heard him play a little bit one time.
RIP Stoney. Thanks for your contribution.