Maybe I have a problem, Nashville 400 baffle sound.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jordan Beyer

Maybe I have a problem, Nashville 400 baffle sound.

Post by Jordan Beyer »

So about a year ago, I played at an event where I mic'd up my Nashville 400 into their PA. Anyway, what ended up happening was some funky stuff happened to my sound, random volume cuts, and it ended up really changing my tone (muddy) so I could either try to get that worked out, or play straight with my amp for this year. I've never really had it that loud, so what I decided to do was turn it up in my living room where I play. I have the post at 9 and gain at 6, 7. When I played it sound like the speaker was shuddering, almost like a stutter where the different frequency are not meshing well through the speaker and giving off that rudder sound. I have yet to try it outside to see if it's just too much sound for that room, or if that's just the limit of the amp. I find it hard to be live it would give out at only pre 5 post 9. Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure most all the hardware and speaker is tight to the chassis. And it's not distorting, just that
Jordan Beyer

Post by Jordan Beyer »

One other thing, the speaker is a shallow basket black widow. Probably 2 years old
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Take the amp outside the house and try it at the volume level you want. Could be something inside causing the effect.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It could also be that the amp is 20-35 years old, and has never been serviced. Breaking down (without distortion) at high levels can mean sagging voltages from the filter caps.
Jordan Beyer

Post by Jordan Beyer »

Okay, so I got it outside. Post 10, pre 8. It still does the same thing. I can get my vp about halfway untill the comp light comes on. And even before it comes on I can hear it distorting, but that's differnt then what im hearing Having it louder it sounds more like a buzz. At post 10, pre 5, I can get my vp to the floor, no distorting, just a bad buzz
Jordan Beyer

Post by Jordan Beyer »

But it may be time for a full run through. Will it be done between now and the event, prob not. Is what I have loud enough for what I need? I don't know, maybe that zinging is a loose screw, or maybe the reverb tank. That seems to jiggle around a lot. The fact that it distorts with my pre at 6 plus concerns me, or should it?
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I don't know a lot about NV400 amps, but in general, most amps would distort some at that level. That's pretty close to wide open. Ive been playing outdoor gigs with a Session 400. With the pre on 3 and the master on 3.5 its actually too loud on stage to be helpful. In fact until I realized it, it was overpowering the guitar and vocals. It's loud!

Are you certain that you need it on full blast? Also, I totally agree that it needs gone through. That's definitely a good idea.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jordan Beyer

Post by Jordan Beyer »

I don't think I will need it full blast, I just find it hard it would distort, and buzz, maybe from the amp, maybe something else, at only pre 6 post 10
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Have you tried another speaker with your amp?
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Jordan, have you tried to set both the pre and post gain at the same level. That always worked best for me. Usually, setting both at 5 was what I used. If you need to be louder, and it seems unlikely that you would need to be this loud, turn the pre up a little. Have you tried to set the levels without using your volume pedal? That's a good way to see just how loud you actually are.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The "speaker" brings up another issue with Black Widow speakers. "Clean the gap". That can cause distortion.

Here is a youtube video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKifKlAdFds
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jordan Beyer

Post by Jordan Beyer »

It's a fairly new speaker, and I keep in pretty clean. I'll try that though. at pre 5 post 5 I know I will not have any problems at all. It's the 7 where it starts getting iffy. If that's normal for an older amp then maybe i don't have a problem at all. I'm still not sure if I'll be loud enough, the room is almost an auditorium. And for whatever reason the only thing that seems to want to get to the back of the room is drums and bass. Last year, people in the back said they couldnt even hear me, only bass and drums, and that was through the PA. Lol so idk.

I haven't tried another speaker, as I do not have another 15. I could try a 12 but I feel that would miss the point. I've always been happy with this speaker, as far as tone goes
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Jordan, after reading this whole thread filled with good advice from people who know what their talking about, you should take that advice very seriously. So, let me reiterate....

I think if you clean the BW gap correctly and still have the distorted sound, you need to get the amp in to a good tech soon.

Your amp is old. Old amps need maintenance. In the case of a Peavey NV400 that usually means it needs new power supply caps, and a very thorough internal cleaning from input to output...including all connectors, and jacks.

A healthy NV400 should put out tons of volume....enough to compete with a loud band. Your's apparently can't....because it's slowly becoming weaker and weaker.

If I were you, I'd find a friend who is willing to loan you a NV400 while you send your amp (actually just the chassis) to Peavey. their prices are very reasonable and it will be good as new when it comes back home.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck.
Best regards,
Mike