New Steel/ Mandolin Tune with RealTracks

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Greg Cutshaw

New Steel/ Mandolin Tune with RealTracks

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I used EZDrummer for the drum tracks on this tune. Bass was a real bass direct to console. Steel, guitar and mandolin was mic'ed with a Shure SM-57 and played through an Allen Encore Tube amp using the built in amp reverb.

Hear Mandolin Hop

Although I have EZKeys for keyboards I had more luck with this tune using the BIAB RealBand Real Tracks. I also used RealBand for the organ on the intro and the fiddle.

The process is real simple. Just enter the chords for one verse of the intro into RealBand. Adjust the tempo and base key to match the Reaper file (all live Zoom R24 tracks and RealBand tracks were ported to Reaper and mixed/mastered there). Go to Generate and select the instrument focusing on ones that are close to the tempo and desired style. I always use MultiRiff which gives me a choice of seven tracks to choose from. Select the desired version from MultiRiff and transfer the track to Reaper as a wav file. It takes a few seconds to properly locate the file in Reaper to match the timing.

It took me about an hour and a half to select, generate and transfer the organ, piano and fiddle parts to Reaper.
John N Norris

Real tracks

Post by John N Norris »

Nice tune. I enjoyed it
Thanks for sharing Greg