Fox Vintage Amp 5F8B For Sale - sold!

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Andrew Waegel

Fox Vintage Amp 5F8B For Sale - sold!

Post by Andrew Waegel »

For sale is my trusty and magnificent Ken Fox Pedal Steel amplifier, model 5F8B.

This is the amp described here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=173758

This is a beautiful sounding and playing amp! Selling only because I'm downsizing to a smaller tube amp that's a better fit for the size of venue I play in.

About 90-some watts of all-tube power with 4 6L6's. Tired of not being heard? This'll fix that :eek:

This amp has a few modifications:
- solid state rectifier replaced with a tube rectifier (the one Ken specified) - i have the original and will include it
- 6" circular foam beam diffuser attached to the inside of the grill cloth to make the output noticeably less 'beamy'; helpful for smaller rooms

All four Power tubes replaced with a fresh set of JJ's about two years ago after a tube socket cracked.

Just about 46 pounds, comes with D2F cover, ready for your next show.

Note that there is -no- on-board reverb, so you'll have to work that out. I'll throw in a EHX Holy Grail Nano for cheap if you'd like.

Unfortunately I have managed to lose the little tube compliment sticker where this was written down but to the best of my recollection it's serial #11. I bought it from forumite Randy Gilliam about 8 years ago.

I'm an amateur player but gig a fair amount, and this has been my main amp ever since I bought it. It's gone to easily 100+ gigs in the bay area, from tiny clubs to big halls to barns and outdoor stages, so it's showing a little wear which you'll see in the pictures, and I'm pricing it to reflect that. It's never let me down and always sounded great, live and in the studio.

I REALLY don't want to ship this, and will road trip to meet you almost anywhere in northern to central California. But will ship if the price is right.

Some tolex detaching

Power tubes ready to rumble, you could roast a squab in the back of this thing

SICA Neodynium speaker

This is where the beam diffuser is glued on

The solid state rectifier (spare)
Last edited by Andrew Waegel on 31 Aug 2018 12:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ken Fox

Tube chart

Post by Ken Fox »

I'll be more than happy to supply a new tube chart for the inside of the amp for you or the future owner. Just let me know.
Ken Fox

Tolex

Post by Ken Fox »

Fast and easy fix for the Tolex is a procuct called fabric tac. Works almost instantly.

Walmart carries it
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Thanks - I just want to add that Ken has been extremely generous and prompt over the years answering questions about the amp.
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

That is true, Andrew..... Ken is the man.. I own one of his amps and his Reverb. Steve t
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

bump - make me a reasonable offer!
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

bump for the fox!
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Price drop - now $1600!
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Randy Gilliam

Fox Amp

Post by Randy Gilliam »

I have number 2 and it’s The Best Sounding Steel Guitar Amp I have ever played or heard! Ken Fox built a monster Steel amp for sure and also beautiful!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

In today’s market o could not build this amp for less than 3000.00
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Thanks for the posts guys, and bump for a great amp!
Joel Hill

Fox Amp

Post by Joel Hill »

I am interested purchasing your amp but I will have to have it shipped to me. Hopefully we can work something out. Joel