Fender Telecaster 69 Paisley, Please Close

Guitars, fiddles, banjos, keyboards, clarinets, bagpipes, etc.
Wayne Joseph

Fender Telecaster 69 Paisley, Please Close

Post by Wayne Joseph »

For sale is this as new Fender Tele In Pink Paisley, dead mint! Made in Japan, absolutely perfect workmanship. Plays like butter with very low action. Sounds like a 60s Tele should. Please reply to classic_co@hotmail.com. Thank you !

Last edited by Wayne Joseph on 13 Nov 2018 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Not a '69, surely? An MIJ reissue from the '80s, I would think.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

"'69" is no longer a year, but a model number of a re-issue... kind of. Unless those wiley Japanese were WAY ahead of us creeping Westies. If not for this and the like, umm, a Gretch model #1620 would be the "Pope Gregory the 15th" signature git and somebody would have a lot of explaining to do.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I should have realised that. My go-to Tele - built in 2009 - was billed as a '62 Thin Skin.

It's vaguely irritating to me that they now charge a premium price for making them with a degree of care that should be the norm.

These paisley reissues, while they don't quite capture the original shade of pink, are probably superior to those actually made in the '60s.
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Eddie Thomas

Original.

Post by Eddie Thomas »

In the summer of 1969, I had an an original (more of a red paisley) color, ordered and was never delivered to my dealer. I guess they were "hot property" at that time.
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

That looks like a 2002-02 re-issue. There may be a more recent re-issue that I am not aware of. Edit: I think they’ve just reissued them again in the last few years

I have a mid-80's re-issue. Great guitars, I love mine
Last edited by Jeremy Threlfall on 26 Jul 2018 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart Sawney

Japan Tele serial no's

Post by Stuart Sawney »

Hi there, I have one here in the UK it has the serial number stamped on the bridge... A plus 6 digits. ' Made in Japan ' on the back of the neck where it meets the body. Luv it, got it way back in the late 80's. I like Fender Japan guitars. Top Drawer.
Image[/img]
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

When CBS dropped Fender like a hot potato and Fender had no clue what it was going to do, they had Fenders made in Japan at a time that rivaled if not surpassed the MIA's. Then there were Japan Fenders that were for export of lesser quality to not compete with MIA's, and Fenders made for the Japan market only that were as good as MIA's.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Alan Bidmade

Post by Alan Bidmade »

I think you've gotta be good if you step on stage with a pink guitar!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Wayne Joseph

Paisley Tele

Post by Wayne Joseph »

Price dropped to $700 plus shipping.
Barry Yasika

price dropp

Post by Barry Yasika »

Not a 69 but for sure worth 700.. Hell I'd buy it if I didn't have so many guitars. Worth it in my eyes.
Emmons
Wayne Joseph

Paisley Tele

Post by Wayne Joseph »

sold on CL, please close
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Roger Rettig wrote:I should have realised that. My go-to Tele - built in 2009 - was billed as a '62 Thin Skin.

It's vaguely irritating to me that they now charge a premium price for making them with a degree of care that should be the norm.

These paisley reissues, while they don't quite capture the original shade of pink, are probably superior to those actually made in the '60s.
Yes irritating in that the original "thin skin" finish was done in Fullerton Ca when there was no EPA to crack down on the out-gassing of the lacquer used. Hence going back to those days on finishing a guitar today is an extra cost with either expensive air filter equipment at the spray booth step or done cheaper in Mexico where there is no EPA and then shipped back to Conus for assembly. Either way the costs add up in filter replacements and/or transpo to/from Mexico.

As an aside, the EPA which was created by Nixon in 1970 had less to do with protecting the environment and more to do with the gov being able to acquisition vast tracks of land to be wheeled and dealed later to anyone with cash.

Also the paisley finishes in the 60's were actually flower and paisley-patterned wallpaper patterns glued to the guitar before they did a sunburst treatment and then topping that off with a clear coat.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Good point re: the wallpaper finish, Godfrey. The originals were notorious for 'needing attention' as time wore on.

I think I read somewhere that James Burton's original - surely the most high-profile example of this model - '69 was restored for him, perhaps by the Fender Custom Shop. Presumably they rendered the finish a little more stable.

Brad Paisley famously acquired one of the 'real' '69s at some point. I heard that he'd paid $6k. I can't honestly say I liked them very much from a visual point of view but I did once get to try out James' guitar at an Emmylou Harris sound-check in London around 1977. That felt sorta cool!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

PS: Is that a 'Lark Street Music' photograph, Godfrey? That carpet looks awfully familiar!
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Roger Rettig wrote:Good point re: the wallpaper finish, Godfrey. The originals were notorious for 'needing attention' as time wore on.

I think I read somewhere that James Burton's original - surely the most high-profile example of this model - '69 was restored for him, perhaps by the Fender Custom Shop. Presumably they rendered the finish a little more stable.

Brad Paisley famously acquired one of the 'real' '69s at some point. I heard that he'd paid $6k. I can't honestly say I liked them very much from a visual point of view but I did once get to try out James' guitar at an Emmylou Harris sound-check in London around 1977. That felt sorta cool!
Roger, It's always exciting to play an icon's instrument. It takes one places in an instant as if one steps into their bodies.

I'll bet the original paisleys were subject to chemical reactions from the materials used. They most likely did not test the finishes long enough wanting to cash in on the flower power era.

Ronnie Montrose had Fender make him a paisley Tele body but it appears they used foil as part of the underlay.

For me to play/own one of these it would have to have a good sound and feel. Am basically a sunburst type. When the paisleys came out back in the 60's it looked gaudy to me and it was obvious why Fender did it. But after 60 years, the historical value is what makes these collectible.

Brad, a fantastic player just happens to have the surname so it works for him.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

You're quite right - too gaudy. Yet, somehow, there's a part of me that would cherish a guitar that looked as good as the one you just posted (is that the Montrose example?)

And yes - history has a way of reassessing things in a new light. I wonder if, had it not been for Fender persuading Burton to play one on the Elvis' show, we'd even remember them today. James, apparently, was somewhat hesitant to take his to the gig in case he 'stole focus' but Presley, it is said, loved it immediately.

The other 'celebrity guitar' I got to play was Duane Eddy's original '57 Gretsch 6120. I did a TV show with him in the mid-'70s and he urged me to try it out.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Roger Rettig wrote:You're quite right - too gaudy. Yet, somehow, there's a part of me that would cherish a guitar that looked as good as the one you just posted (is that the Montrose example?)

And yes - history has a way of reassessing things in a new light. I wonder if, had it not been for Fender persuading Burton to play one on the Elvis' show, we'd even remember them today. James, apparently, was somewhat hesitant to take his to the gig in case he 'stole focus' but Presley, it is said, loved it immediately.

The other 'celebrity guitar' I got to play was Duane Eddy's original '57 Gretsch 6120. I did a TV show with him in the mid-'70s and he urged me to try it out.
Elvis and his Vegas phase, Burton's paisley just added to the glitter. :lol:

Yes that is Montrose's guitar. I saw it on eBay some years ago and then Eddie Vegas got ahold of it and sold it for 8k.

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/detail ... -Tele-.php

My interest in Montrose was with Edgar Winter.

Duane's influence on guitar is etched in stone...

Sure admire your been around history Roger!

PS: Is that a 'Lark Street Music' photograph, Godfrey? That carpet looks awfully familiar!
I wouldn't know Roger, the photo was on a Premier Guitar page.
Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 16 Nov 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Here we are at work. That's THE Gretsch and I have a battle-scarred Telecaster (and some hair, it seems.)

Not a great picture - it's a 'capture' from a DVD.

Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Roger Rettig wrote:Here we are at work. That's THE Gretsch and I have a battle-scarred Telecaster (and some hair, it seems.)

Not a great picture - it's a 'capture' from a DVD.

Fantastic!

Technology will come around that will clear up older photos.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!