Diode clipping mod, Ge and Si in parallel?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Yes, Georg you are correct about the current. I assume the values you listed are for the supply you mentioned earlier. "It is for +/-12-18 Volt supply."
Georg here is something you can smile about. It has probably be 18 or more years since I burned up a electronic part. I was fooling around with resistor values, and had a Texas Instruments 2426 rail splitter hooked up. I was thinking about referencing voltage off of the rail splitter ground. I think my volt probes were touching the rail splitter ground and positive rail, or it could have been touching the positive and negative rails. The negative rail had no resistors on it. Anyway, I smelled something, and put my thumb on the rail splitter and it burnt my thumb. The 2426 rail splitter is only good for 20 milliamps. Next time I hook up, I will just hook to the rails. Georg when people do stupid things, like I did, sometimes they get their thumb burned! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Georg, I assume on the right side of the schematic, the 1K6 resistors are there to represent that another stage could be added, is that correct?
The line coming down from the 1K6 positive rail touches nothing, is that correct?
I am confused as to why the 330K resistor on the negative rail is tied to the output of the op-amp. Can you explain why it is there?
Will the presence of the 330K resistor only on the negative side mean there--is less or more-- clipping on the negative swing, than on the positive swing?
I am also interested why you chose the value of.47uf. I am guessing it is allowing a certain frequency, which has an effect on tone? What would be the difference if you used a smaller capacitor, say a .1uf?
Also, could the 1uf capacitor on the op amp output be a polarized cap, with + toward the op amp, and the - toward the right or out? Also, if you used a 2.2uf cap, wouldn't that add more bass?
Isn't the value of the 100K resistor in some ways dependent on the gain of the op amp? Seems to me the higher the output of the op amp the more clipping would take place. Is that correct?
Sorry for the questions, but this is a really interesting circuit.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Thank you for sharing this, Georg. And that is a lovely photo, also.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)