Susan Alcorn Award !

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hoffnar

Susan Alcorn Award !

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

And this is amazing :

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/a ... san-alcorn

I'm so happy for Susan. She made her own beautiful world and invited everybody in. That takes allot of courage and perseverance.
Bob
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Wow! What else can you say? I echo Mr Hoffnar and add my own:

´Congrats Susan and best wishes! Well done.´ 8)
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Wonderful news! Congratulations!
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Fantastic! Hearty congratulations, Susan!
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Congratulations! It takes a lot of courage to be different.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Keith Hilton wrote:Congratulations! It takes a lot of courage to be different.
Apparently, it pays, too! ;)

Thrilled for you, Susan.
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

I am so glad to hear this. I've always admired her originality. Very well deserved.
Daniel Ibanez

Post by Daniel Ibanez »

I followed her on YouTube and I was impressed by her style, new ideas, the way she thought and the way she talked on the interviews.
A great person.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Great!
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Congratulations Susan, no one more deserving :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chuck Stowe

Post by Chuck Stowe »

Congratulations Susan! Way to go!
1980 Emmons PP D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500 & Nashville 112
Don Drummer

susan...You

Post by Don Drummer »

You have made steel players and free thinkers very proud. Thank you, Susan!
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Thanks Bob! And thank you Michael, Martin (who put out my first album in Europe - must have sold four or five copies), Jim (great Philly jazz) , Keith (I own one of your volume pedals), Bob, Daniel, Jack, Georg, Paddy (my favorite Kiwi), my old friend Chuck, and Don.

I am, of course, thrilled to receive it, and it is a great honor. I had received an email from someone who I didn't know saying, I have good news for you, but we need to talk on the phone (what - some sort of scam? a bill collector?). He called when I was driving through central Pennsylvania on my way home from a gig in Canada. When he told me I had to pull off the road I was so surprised. He said that the award also went to Joe McPhee which made sense.

It was, and still is, difficult to wrap my head around all of this because, I thought, who am I? There are so many truly brilliant improvising musicians who I would give my right arm (well, maybe not my right arm - I need that to pick with) to be able to play like, and maybe I didn't deserve it. And all the kudos, a little like survivor's guilt. Then I thought that whoever chose me (and has been kept secret, even to me) obviously must have liked or maybe been moved by some of my music, and that I should respect that - it's like if you're having a really bad night at a gig, and you're so embarrassed that all you want to do is go home and forget it ever happened, and someone comes up to you and tells you how much your music touched them - you can't take that away from them. The way I think now is (and when you win something like that, you think about it a lot, at least I did), it's like you're a fish in the ocean or maybe a lake, a school of fish with lots of others around you. Someone casts a net and picks out two people, one being Joe McPhee who is a living legend, and the other this weird fish, an outlier, sort of swimming around the margins of the school, gets picked up too - there are so so many incredible musicians that could have should have been chosen, including members of our little forum, but for some reason I got plucked out of the water, and I have to remember to use this experience to, hopefully, grow as a musician and, more importantly, grow as a human being.

I've probably written too much. Thank you for all of your words. You, my colleagues who know what p/p, rkr, D10, S12, and psg mean - those words mean so much.

Thanks.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Emmons & Peavey