Steel guitar building question undercarriage

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steven Black

Steel guitar building question undercarriage

Post by Steven Black »

Can angle aluminum with holes already predrilled in it work for a steel guitar pedal crossrods under the guitar? the kind of aluminum you see in specialty hardware stores, I saw a guitar that was built with this, they say it worked.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Steve, The position of the hole is critical because they determine the position of the pedal rods and the pedals and the knee levers. It is important for the pedals and knee levers to complimenet each other.
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Thanks Henry, I wish there was an easier way to set crossrods underneath the guitar, I do not know what this other guitar used but it was interesting how it was setup.
Steve Frost

Post by Steve Frost »

Steven- I'm not faniliar with the material to which you're referring, but drilling the cross shaft holes in aluminum angle is not one of the more complex tasks in building a pedal steel. Unless the pre-drilled holes are already the right size and have the right offsets, you'll have to compensate in some other way, which would very likely be far more work. I'm no expert, but I'm building a couple of steels from scratch, and that's my take on it. Good luck!
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Steven, not trying to burst your bubble!!but can't imagine any thing thats gonna work for steel guitars. I think you need to get a picture of the guitar your speaking of. As had been said, alum is easy to drill and machine. i tryed to stay out of this, but you are headed for disaster,using factory stock.been there done that!!!!!!
farris
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Hey guys, thanks for the information and will take notice of the issue.
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Steven,
A very few years ago,
I had a student model single neck 3 & 1 guitar come thru my shop for a general going over and set-up, that had the exact thing you are speaking of,underneath.
If I'm not terribly mistaken it was a "Howard" guitar.
and BTW it worked quiet well.
Hope this helps in your search for what you're looking for.
I will look to see if I still have pictures of it tomorrow.

Kenny
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I sure see a lot of it used for the knee lever cross rods..
Delbert Aldredge

Post by Delbert Aldredge »

Steven, type in Marrs Music Company on your browser. They will have what you need.

Delbert
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

That Marrs guitar is the one I saw that used the angle piece under the guitar for the cross shafts, and it was a student model guitar, thanks guys for locating it, now I know who used it.