D-10 Body Dimensions

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Light

D-10 Body Dimensions

Post by Jon Light »

I would appreciate it if a few people would provide me with the specs on their cabinets. My primary interest is width. I've redesigned my work stand (not for production), very different from b0b's great new product but an upgrade inspired by it.
I need to know the maximum width I might encounter before I finish up the final assembly. I've never owned a double neck guitar and can't seem to find the assortment of specs I'm looking for.
Thanks!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Dunno how much help this is as I'm sure these guitars may be narrower than some others but the MCI is 10 3/4", the Mullen D10's measure about 10 1/2" in width.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thanks, Jerry. All data is appreciated. But yes, the real question is "what is the widest body I will encounter."
Lynn Stafford

D-10 Body Dimensions

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Jon,

As I recall; It seems like most of the Sho-Bud D-10 cabinets I've worked on are 12" wide, except the Super Pro. I also worked on a Texan D-10 a few years ago and it was also 12" wide. It could be that ZB D-10 cabinets may be wider but I don't remember how wide those cabinets are. I'm sure there are other folks out there that would know for certain.

In your work stand design, you may want to take the deck offset into consideration in order to keep the guitar level. Sho-Bud decks (other than the Super Pro) and ZB decks have a 3/4" offset but I think the majority of the other brands are 1/4". BMI may be the only exception, with no deck offset.

Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I assume it is the end plate dimensions you're after, the widest point of the guitar, not the actual cabinet width, no? Or will your stand actually support from the body?

Pro II and Pro III Sho~Buds that I've encountered are ~12 1/4" wide at the end plates, "The Professional" is probably the same but not sure.

Emmons LL II is 11" at the end plates

Sho~Bud Super Pro is ~10 3/4"
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Yo Jon,

Carter D10 - 10 5/8
Dekley D10- 12 3/8 (A monster)

h
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Great. It cradles the guitar the same as b0b & Ross's rig so while I'm asking about the outside measurements, the actual critical span is from the outside of the changer mounts and the keyheads which sit inside the stand while the rest of the apron rests atop the cradle. So even a cabinet a bit over 12" is still a safe number for me to proceed.
From a previous crude stand I'd made, I don't believe the slant caused by the offset will be an issue. However I will have an insert available in just in case. Thanks for thinking of that.
Looks like I've got what I need here.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I made a quick, simple stand at one point from scraps of plywood from a discarded cabinet shelf. I've found it to be very versatile. It's a slightly different concept than Ross's design, it cradles and supports the end plates, so very little contact with the actual body, excellent access to the strings and tuning keys. I had pondered modifying it to put the supports in sliding grooves like that for adjustability, but it only takes a few seconds to move the supports with a screw drill so I haven't found sufficient motivation to "upgrade" it as yet.

FWIW, I originally set it up to add 3/4" blocks under the supports for my Sho-Bud guitars, but I find it works fine without so I don't bother anymore.

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've used my old stand for the last 10 years and it's just fine but the new one is MUCH more easily adjustable. Different adjustment approach from b0b & Ross's but I'm not going to post my vid of it because I don't want to in any way detract from b0b's product (not that I am going into production).
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

My Sierra Crown D-10 measures 11 3/4" between the aprons.
Sierra Crown D-10
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

Jon,

I have a BMI D12 that measures 12.75 inches wide at the end plates, and as Lynn stated, it has no offset.

Cheers!
Benton
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

The good news is my rig will (*just*) handle that. If it didn't....I'd wait and see how many D-12's come knocking at my door before I panicked. :)

Thanks.
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I don't know if the correct name is WORKMATE, but it has a set of gears that with a crank, you can open or close the table to whatever size you want. Just some food for thought. If you made something like that, it would fit 100% of all steels, single or double. Check it out. I have one, and if your interested, I will go down and find the correct name for you.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

It is a Black and Decker WORKMATE. Might give you an idea.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thanks Ronnie. It's been designed and assembled for a while now. Just making sure I won't need to modify it for larger bodies.