Stage 1 pickup upgrade ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Vroman

Stage 1 pickup upgrade ?

Post by Steve Vroman »

I'm wondering what my options may be to change the pickup in my Stage 1. I'm finding my tone a little thin and lacking a certain midrange warmth that I can't dial in with EQ. I'd also like something with a bit of a smoother top end. Thanks
Steve Vroman

Post by Steve Vroman »

Did some searching around the forum, looks like the Stage 1 has a unique pickup size. Time to practice more
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

What's your current amp and your tone settings?
Greg Thompson

Stage 1 pickup upgrade ?

Post by Greg Thompson »

Try a Trutone
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

A “unique” pickup size?
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

Unique P/up size I don't think so. Check with Doug Earnest
Steve Vroman

Post by Steve Vroman »

I thought I read that it wasn't a standard pickup size, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm playing through a Quilter Aviator head into a Telonics 12" speaker. I also have a Sarno Freeloader buffer. The rig is very Blackface sounding, scooped mids. I can boost the mids, but there's more of a nasally quality rather than warmth. I do have a parametric EQ, but I haven't had much luck dialing in something akin to what I'd like to hear.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

My Stage One does not like scooped mids. Turn down the highs and get the mids up past half way at least. I don’t know your amp, but it is easy to overdo the high and low end on that pickup. Boost on the mids really brings it to life. For me, anyway...
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Message from Doug a couple years back so, unless something has changed.....
Doug Earnest wrote:Let me interject here before somebody goes out and spends money for a pickup and then finds out it won't fit.

I don't know of any commercially made pickups marketed specifically for pedal steel that will mount in the available space on a Stage One. You may get one in there but it will be too close to the strings.

Stage Ones DO NOT use either the wide mount or narrow mount pickup mounting configurations in the diagram posted above.

ZumSteel pro models use the wide mount, and my ZumSteel Encore model will also accept that pattern. Stage One humbuckers are mounted using one screw on each end of the pickup. Encores are also drilled to accept the Stage One pickup.
BTW, you gear list looks good, but I'm not familiar with the Aviator model. Is that model designed for straight guitar? Sometimes guitar amps don't really have the voicing that pedal steel needs.

If I were you, I'd try Fred's suggestion. When you cut mids, you also cut low end which may be causing your tone to be too thin to suit you. Maybe more experimentation will yield a more satisfactory result.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to fit another pickup in there, if that's at all possible, but most players seem pretty happy with the stock 'bucker pickup. I heard Mike Douchette playing one with Gene Watson and it sounded great...but we all hear and like different things, I know. Good Luck.
Steve Vroman

Post by Steve Vroman »

Thank you everyone, I think I'll mess around with my current set-up some more. I do enjoy guitar projects but my newbie lack of technique is likely the problem
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

Thanks Jerry,
Obviously my Encore is a different kettle of fish. Wonder why Doug went non-standard on Stage One's
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Oops !
Last edited by John Sluszny on 24 May 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

What Jerry said about Mike Douchette ! If it’s good enough for Mike it should be good enough for you . Go to the Stage One site and listen to the Mike Douchette’ s demos.