New Joe Goldmark CD...Wow!!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

New Joe Goldmark CD...Wow!!

Post by Stu Schulman »

Yesterday the femail man delivered the New Joe Goldmark CD to me,This morning I finally got to give it a good listen in my car on the way to the supermarket,I am totally blown away by this wonderful recording,Tone!to die for awesome pitch ,Great players and wonderful singers,I met Joe at the Boarding House in San Francisco in about 1977I was touring with the late B.W.Stevenson,Joe had given me a copy of his first L.P. which was a really nice thing,I remember that Joe played a very cool version of the Spinners song "Could it be I'm falling in love"we both had steel guitar,and soul music in common,Joe has that Bobby Black tone it's not his guitar or amp ,it's in his hands,Do yourself a favor and go buy this record,It's not about chops it's about "Love for the song"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

From Joe's web site:

"The Wobble" from the CD, great recording!

http://www.joegoldmark.com/media/05TheWobble.mp3

Three of Joe's CD's including this one are also on Apple Music.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

The Wobble: wow!
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I would guess that not everyone here knows that Joe is a partner in Amoeba Music, the superb three store operation in California. I'm a semi regular in the San Francisco and Berkeley stores. Joe's SF store is located on the legendary Haight Street. You can order the physical CD here:

https://www.amoeba.com/blue-steel-cd-jo ... s/4019345/
Mark
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

I had a chance to listen to Joe's new Cd while I was walking my dog. I have always loved Joe's "all over the road" approach to music, and this cd is filled with variety. Like Stu's post above, I enjoy Joe's love of soul/ 1960's, mixed in with some San Francisco attitude. There's some cool steel guitar, ranging from the traditional to the not-so traditional, and even some C6th.
Great job, Joe. I'm enjoying your new recording.
Chuck
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:From Joe's web site:

"The Wobble" from the CD, great recording!

http://www.joegoldmark.com/media/05TheWobble.mp3

Three of Joe's CD's including this one are also on Apple Music.
Man, if that doesn't get you up out of your chair, nothing will! Awesome!
Sierra Crown D-10
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

I'll have to look into that!

Here's my favorite of his (so far):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJAFlVYWRs
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Don R Brown wrote:Here's my favorite of his (so far):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJAFlVYWRs
Great tune, done well.
That guitar picker is pretty good, but ummm...is it just me or did the steel solo pretty much do the trick? 8)
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Thanks guys, really appreciate it, especially Stu for starting the thread and Greg for posting "The Wobble". I'm gonna start a new thread since this one seems to be wandering off topic. That "Sing Me Back Home" video is from my album release of "Seducing the 60's" from 2007. Glad you like it. Joe
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Glenn Walters’ excellent vocal on Wobble sounds like he’s channeling Carl Perkins.

I don’t know how Joe makes those pull offs so slick, but I could have sworn they were the beginning of a six-string solo.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I just got my copy of Joe's new CD: great album, Joe, great playing and very listenable with wonderful vocals by Glenn Walters and Dallis Craft, and cameo by 6-string slinger Jim Campilongo. That vintage Zumsteel sounds awesome!

I think this would be a great inspiration to you if you're looking to learn some interesting approaches to steel that aren't impossibly hard or fast. You'll steel need clean technique to play Joe's licks. Some nice blues and rock things here.

I should add, my earliest steel lesson was a one-off when Joe sold me a student ZB one of his students was selling. About 1972. Thanks again, Joe!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I already responded on the other thread, but this is a great CD, front-to-back. Wow is right.
David Phillips

Post by David Phillips »

I love it!
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Really cool! Joe always does interesting stuff, and this raises his bar. This isn't a lick-fest...it's a real album. Great playing by all involved, especially from Joe, and some really cool vocals from Dallis Craft & Glenn Walters.
Hat's off to ya, Joe...
Gibson Hartwell

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

Holy cow, what a fantastic player. And an Amoeba partner to boot! Thanks for the post, Stu!
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

Congrats on another fine CD Joe. Great production and song choices. My favorites lean towards the instrumentals; "Ginger Ale" and "Warm Rain" are a pleasure to listen to. The layers of steel are inventive and adventurous. Thank you Joe...
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Thanks, Mike! I actually kept it pretty simple on this album. I'll leave the layering to you! When does your new one drop? Looking forward to it.

Thanks Gibson for your nice comments and thanks Skip, I think I responded on the other thread.

Joe
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

Joe... the new album is completed and looking to have it ready for a June release. I will be posting info...
Marty Muse

Post by Marty Muse »

Another great record (I still call them records) from Joe! Joe's knack for picking interesting material is still evident here and his touch and tone are unmistakable. He has a unique voice in the world of steel guitar. Great playing, production and a snappy dresser to boot. Kudos to you Joe.