ZB Custom Student Model 3+1, want to add RKR

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jett Boyd

Post by Jett Boyd »

I’m the new owner of a ZB Custom Student model serial number 199S. I’m guessing this is is early 1970’s?

It has a RKL knee lever and looks like it had a RKR lever at one time and I’d like to add it back.

Looking for description or pictures of how to convert the pushing of the lever to the right to cause a changer pull to the left. I have a Cougar 8 string that has a reversing gear to accomplish this but I’m thinking the clever Zane Beck had a better way.

Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Hook it up under the cross shaft instead of on top.
Lynn Stafford

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Jett,

Here are a couple of photos of a ZB S-10 that I worked on last year for a customer in Idaho.

Wing nuts were typically used to attach the pull rods to. They would just saw off one of the wings and drill a hole in the other one.

Good luck in finding ZB parts, as they are very scarce!
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Pete McAvity

Post by Pete McAvity »

What does that little print on the undercarriage side say? Something warranty something meat co.?
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Pete McAvity wrote:What does that little print on the undercarriage side say? Something warranty something meat co.?
I believe the word is heat, not meat.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Jett Boyd

Post by Jett Boyd »

Thanks Jim and Lynn!

Simple and efficient. I didn’t think there would be room above the rod but those close-ups show exactly how to do it. Thanks for the wing nut tip!

Would love to find a matching ZB knee lever but maybe I’ll put two matching new ones on.

The warranty stamp says the Uvex finish is not covered if put in extreme heat. But meat makes it more interesting :)

I’ve been building and playing acoustic and electric guitars for 35 years and grew up in Arkansas, too bad I didn’t discover ZB back then!
Pete McAvity

Post by Pete McAvity »

Thanks, Lee. Zooming in helps.
Now what the hell is a Uvex finish?
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

I believe Uvex was the vacuum formed plastic covering the ZB student models came with.It saved time by not having to lacquer the body. My first steel (ZB student) recently showed up at a local music store and the blue plastic was cracked and peeling off, pretty ugly. And I used to think it was so cool looking!
Jett Boyd

Post by Jett Boyd »

Thanks to Billy Knowles who found me some ZB knee levers and assorted hardware and lots of useful posts on the forum, I was able to add an “F” lever to my ZB Custom Student S10.

A little welding shop around the corner put my F lever rods together. I drilled the two holes in the end plate.

Because the changer is so close to the RKR, I didn’t have room to attach the raise rods directly to the RKR lever rod. So I added a reversing pivot arm that sits on a block of aluminum. The pull rod equalizers that Billy sent were perfect.

RKL is E to Eb because moving to left on the fretboard lowers the pitch.
RKR is E to F because moving to the right on the fretboard raises the pitch.
I respect others who have different opinions!

Now I can add a diminished 7th chord to my limited bag of tricks.