Stringtone Tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Johnny Collins

Stringtone Tuning

Post by Johnny Collins »

Howdy Y'all, My name is Johnny Collins aka Buck and I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to the lap steel. I'd love to know if anyone knows how the strings should be tuned with an ancient stringtone device installed. The instrument is a six string "White" (Fender), which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I have it tuned to gbdgbd now but I don't think that's the right tuning with the stringtone. If anyone can suggest the proper tuning I'd be tickeled pink. Thanks JC
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Is that the one where there are three settings labelled A, E, and C#m? If so, the intended tunings are (lo-to-hi)

E A E A C# E
E B E G# B E
E B E G# C# E

Each "throw" is adjustable with a screw, and they don't always come back to the exact same position when moved.

I also tried heavier gage strings and lower tunings (G, D, and Bm) with about the same results. Ended up removing it from the old Supro that came with it.
Johnny Collins

The other one

Post by Johnny Collins »

This particular Stringtone has the alternate tuning. It is marked C7, E7, and C6. I've never used the adjustment screws. The strings do seem to go back to position, although I've not used a tuner to verify the pitches. Once I know how to set up the gadget I'll check the strings with a tuner. If the device does not work right it's coming off, however, I'd like to keep it in place, if possible. The guitar is 54 years old and I believe the Stringtone has been on it for most of that time. If you know the string assignments for the C7 E7 C6 model I'd appreciate the info. Thanks, JC
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Johnny -

I have a 6-string lapsteel with Stringtone Changer for C#m 7th, E7th, and C6th.

Here's what I was told....so try these for each tuning, low string to high string:

For C#m 7th Tuning
C, E, G, A, C#, E

For E7th Tuning
B, D, E, G#, B, E

For C6th Tuning
C, E, G, A, C, E

Experts on forum requested to please verify....
Johnny Collins

Post by Johnny Collins »

Hey Ron, I did not know there were 4 position changers. I'll have to go out and check my axe again, maybe I missed one. Anyway, do the little adjustment screws have to be reset whenever the lever is moved? That would not be kosher, would it? If I knew how the gadget it supposed to work it might make more sense. I'll try some of the tuning you and Mr. Schubert have suggested. Thanks, Johnny C
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Here's the tuning instructions from the sheet that accompanied the C6, E7, C7 Changer:

A. After the Changer has been installed, place lever in "C6" tuning position on Indicator and tune guitar to 'C6th' (also known as 'A Mi 7th') with the regular tuning keys.

B. Next, place the lever in "E7" tuning position, and by using screw driver, adjust the screws in the front of the Changer until the guitar is tuned to "E 7th"

C. Place lever in "C7" position, which automatically gives "C# Mi 7th" tuning.
Recheck Steps A, B, and C before playing "C7."

Hope the above info helps.
once all 3 are set, you're good to go until next time you change strings.
units are neat little gizmoes when working properly.
Johnny Collins

Post by Johnny Collins »

Thanks Ron, That's what I've been after. I'll adjust the strings and see what it does. The last time the strings were changed was 1956. They still sound good. But, seriously, the original pick up is quiet and pretty hot. Thanks again, JC
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

see email
Bob McEvoy

stringtone changer

Post by Bob McEvoy »

I am new to the forum and just ran across this subject. I took steel guitar lessons in the late 50's from Ron Dearth in Lima Ohio. He told us that he invented these and showed us an early prototype. I have on a double neck Oahu Iolana with one on each neck. One for A, E, etc and one for C6, E7 etc.