Boss Lmb-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Abruzzo

Boss Lmb-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

http://www.bass-pedals.com/boss-lmb-3-b ... er-review/

A pedal "created" for bass but some PSG players really like it.

Any idea of how this would be for lap steel, in a mostly bluesy-type setting?
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I picked one up a while ago for use with PSG. I find that when used in full clampdown limiting mode, with long sustained notes & chords you can really hear it release, not smoothly but noticeably in notchy segments like a jerky over-caffeinated volume pedal. Far too noticeable (to me) to be useful.
For more dynamic and less legato playing it works nicely as a leveler.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've got a tendency to lock into mindsets and move on when things don't conform to my narrow conceptions. Maybe I ought to play with it some, eh?
Stephen Abruzzo

Thanks guys. My idea was to use the LMB-3 as an "enhancer" of my sound via very mild compression. I remembered Georg used one and found it very beneficial.

How is it for sustaining?
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
Stephen Abruzzo

Thanks for the great explanation.

So, if your amp has B-M-T controls, you set them to flat/neutral? Just making sure I understand.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I really like the LMB-3. I use it with all dials at noon. It’s one of those pedals that you miss it if it is not on.
Stephen Abruzzo

Thanks guys.

Georg....you wrote that your LMB-3 is perfect as a buffer. Does that mean it would be similar to something like a Black Box in terms of how it functions, among other things?
Stephen Abruzzo

Thanks for the education...much appreciated. Think I might pick one up and/or see about testing one out.
Don Mogle

Post by Don Mogle »

Georg,

I was reading one of your posts where somebody was asking about the frequency response being impacted by using the Boss LMB-3. You also provided a graph showing how the LMB-3 put a natural dip in the mid frequencies. (Please post the graph again here in a response if you can...)

Here's my situation. I have several STEEL amps that have a mid shift control that allows me to dial out the mid frequency (800 Hz usually). I also have several amps that are more designed for 6-string guitars which DO NOT have the mid shift controls. I have a Boss GE-7 (Analogman) EQ pedal right now that helps me to dial out the mids.

Here's my question. From your explanation, it appears the LMB-3 does this mid dip naturally. Would this negate the need for the Boss GE-7 (unless I wanted some dobro effect)? Sounds like a great solution to those who use regular "guitar" amps for steel that do not have the luxury of the mid shift control.

By the way, I should be receiving my like-new LMB-3 tomorrow or Friday! Cannot wait to give it a try at church on Sunday morning!

Thanks,

Don
Last edited by Don Mogle on 24 Sep 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Mogle

Boss LMB-3

Post by Don Mogle »

Thanks Georg!
Don Mogle

Lmb-3

Post by Don Mogle »

Georg,

I used the LMB-3 Sunday. I like it but it really mellows or evens out the tone.

My signal chain: Sho Bud Pro II--> Li'l Izzy in guitar's output jack--> Boss LMB-3--> Boss DD-3--> Wampler Faux Spring Reverb--> VP--> input of the amp (NV 400).

I will try to run it into the pre-EQ effects loop or the back Power Amp in jack in back of the NV 400 later when there is more time for experimentation. I know your signal chain bypasses all amp effects and goes straight into the power amp in jack

Question: will the Izzy negate any effects of the LMB-3? I know both are buffers and I cannot think of any reason why they should not play well together. Am I missing anything?

I listened to the church's live feed (playback) and my steel was not as prominent in the mix as in the past. There could be various reasons for this. I wonder if the LMB-3 mellowed it out too much?? Here's a link to the live feed. The music starts at 5:40 minutes into the video. The steel is sitting so far back into the mix you can hardly hear it. I've been told the live mix and audio mix are separate, so hard to tell what the congregation was hearing. There's a good steel song at the end of the service after the message starting at 1:04:01.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3tPPgU8EQ

Thanks!