Output Jack Problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nathan Powell

Output Jack Problem

Post by Nathan Powell »

When playing, I've been getting some cutting in and out. Then, yesterday, the sound cut out ALMOST completely from the amp - I could hear it faintly. I had the guitar player I was with plug into the amp with my set up and there was no problem. Do you think this is an easily fixed situation, or would I need to replace the output jack (MSA SD10). Thanks in advance...
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Have you changed cables? Run the guitar direct to the amp, no volume pedal or effects with a known good cable and see if it cuts out. May not be the jack. If it is the jack, spray it with contact cleaner and see if that fixes it.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Jack - Yes, I went directly in and still had the issue, and tried a different cable. I'll try the contact cleaner. Thanks for the advice.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Rarely do the jacks themselves go bad, so I'd suspect a short or loose wire at the guitar jack. Also, make sure the jack or controls aren't being accidentally touched by the knee lever mechanisms.
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Will do, thanks! I hope to have an update tomorrow. Best!