Post by Uffe Edefuhr »

That must be "Stu Basore"
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Thankyou Uffe
I have seen him a couple of times on youtube snd wondered
Uffe Edefuhr

Post by Uffe Edefuhr »

Stu Basore died some weeks ago. He played steel behind a lot of country artists. In my mind he did never got as much credit of nice steelguitar playing as he should!
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Totally agree, Uffe.

He played on a 1980 Jean Shepard album on Gusto, with re-recordings of her older hits. His back-up and solo on "City Lights" is perhaps the best steel work I have ever heard, everything by Lloyd & Buddy included.
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Nice work Stu, and also impressive to see Loretta using bar chords up the neck instead of using a "cheater" like most artists today... ;-)
Sierra Crown D-10
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

GUYS!!
That is DON HELMS :)
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin
Jon Irsik

Post by Jon Irsik »

Definitely Don Helms.
Uffe Edefuhr

Post by Uffe Edefuhr »

Don Helms was a good player too but I thought it looked like Stu! My appologuise if I was wrong!
Uffe
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

You can listen to both of them on youtube Under Legends of steel guitar-Jim Vest. He interviews popular players.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Don Helms for sure. He was a regular on the Wilburn Brothers Show before Hal and Curly.

Kind Regards, Walter
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I thought for sure that was don Helms yesterday when I read this post. I figured there were guys who knew better than me.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Tim Russell wrote:Nice work Stu, and also impressive to see Loretta using bar chords up the neck instead of using a "cheater" like most artists today... ;-)
It is easier to get a chunky country swing feel on rhythm guitar if you play barre chords. If you want the ringing sparkly sustain of open strings for a folky country ballad in Eb, you use a capo at fret 1 and play open position chords in D.

The capo is not a cheater bar, it is a very useful tool for making an artistic choice. But it is too bad that country swing is not a stylistic choice among so many modern recording artists.
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Fred Treece wrote:
Tim Russell wrote:Nice work Stu, and also impressive to see Loretta using bar chords up the neck instead of using a "cheater" like most artists today... ;-)
It is easier to get a chunky country swing feel on rhythm guitar if you play barre chords. If you want the ringing sparkly sustain of open strings for a folky country ballad in Eb, you use a capo at fret 1 and play open position chords in D.

The capo is not a cheater bar, it is a very useful tool for making an artistic choice. But it is too bad that country swing is not a stylistic choice among so many modern recording artists.
Yes, I understand, and agree. However, my observation comes from playing years with bands where the guitarists could only play 3 or so chords, and would capo the rest, lol.
Sierra Crown D-10
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Tim Russell wrote:Yes, I understand, and agree. However, my observation comes from playing years with bands where the guitarists could only play 3 or so chords, and would capo the rest, lol.
Ah, well in that case, you’re right. I have been in bands where the singer didn’t know their keys, let alone the chords to the song or how to play all 3 of them. Loretta rocks!