Small practice amp suggestions?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Zehner

Small practice amp suggestions?

Post by Andrew Zehner »

I'm looking at getting a new amp for my quiet practices with my lap or pedal steel. I'd like to get an amp around 20W or so. Does anyone have any suggestions on smaller amps that work well for steel guitar?
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

I have a Peavey Pacer, all discrete transistors from the era of the Session 400 and LTD. Doesn't have the paramid or presence control but has the basic sound of those iconic steel amps. 12' speaker, and plenty loud if you need it, I've gigged and recorded with mine. You can find them for like $100-150 on craigslist.
Gary Dillard

Post by Gary Dillard »

Do what I did...went to the local pawn shop, bought one for $40, hooked my BOSS delay/reverb to it....perfect!
Butch Mullen

amp

Post by Butch Mullen »

I like the Roland Cube amps. Built in effects and very dependable. I have got 2 Cube 60s. Butch in NC
Dean Severson

Post by Dean Severson »

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I keep a little battery powered Vox headphone amp in my case.
It has no reverb, but you can mix in an iPod to play along with. I mainly use it these days to tune my steel up on a noisy stage. Pop it into the jack with headphones and it can help you hear what your doing.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I have both the Roland Mobile Cube (stereo!) and the XL40... both sound great and are super reliable. Both have headphone outputs. The MC can run on batteries... fave amp of Kevin Brown.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Dean Severson wrote:I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I keep a little battery powered Vox headphone amp in my case.
It has no reverb, but you can mix in an iPod to play along with. I mainly use it these days to tune my steel up on a noisy stage. Pop it into the jack with headphones and it can help you hear what your doing.
I have one of those little Vox headphone plugs also. And Dean, it does have reverb, you need to push on the other little button and it gives you different effects. The effects are all kind of annoying, but they are there.

When my wife is away, or upstairs, I practice with a Fishman Mini Loudbox amp, which is very small, has (I think) 40 watts of clean power, and reverb. I actually bought the amp for my acoustic guitars, and dobros, but find that it works great for practice with my steels, both pedal and lap. It also functions as a monitor, with a DI out to the PA (if you ever need that). I notice in their new ads, they have one that has built in power for real portability.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Boss Katana 50,,,,everything you need,,,great with pedal steel...line out, headphone,,,around 22 lbs,,,12"speaker etc,,,150-200 bucks used.
Dean Severson

Post by Dean Severson »

Brooks Montgomery wrote: I have one of those little Vox headphone plugs also. And Dean, it does have reverb, you need to push on the other little button and it gives you different effects. The effects are all kind of annoying, but they are there.
Thanks, Brooks, .. I'll look for that.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Just so you know 20 Tube watts is EXTREMELY loud.. like easily loud enough to play with a drummer.

So be careful what you buy.. 20 solid state watts is different obviously.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

That said 5 tube watts will gen3rally get over a drummer.. but it will be crunchy... for lap steel perfect.. for pedal steel..maybe not what you want...but I generally practice with a 5 watt tube amp on pedal steel and it is GREAT... with a 12 inch speaker.. perfect practice amp... for my tone.. hairy... not too clean and sterile... and very inspiring.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

At Performance Guitars, my late buddy Jerry Brightman and I tested every guitar through my modded Princeton Reverb. Deluxe style power supply brought it just short of 20 watts, and the 12" Celestion gave better lows. He used it for some "Patsy" shows and some other gigs. Great-sounding little amp that can sit on the floor of the passenger side of your wheels.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I've been using a Peavey Studio Pro 50, from the mid-'80's and it's great for practice and small gigs. I had a Telonics neo 12 so I stuck it in there...300w speaker in a 50w amp, haha. It's a great amp! I bought it for $55 on ebay.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

If used is ok, the Peavey Backstage Plus is a great small inexpensive practice amp.
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 300053.pdf
Derrick Unger

Fender

Post by Derrick Unger »

I'm using a Fender sidekick 35 reverb..found it on Craigslist and thought it would make a great little light weight amp and it does..it has great reverb..a upgraded warehouse 12" speaker and also has a presence control which adds a nice touch..and comes in at about 22lbs I'd guess..I really wanted to try this little amp since the Peavey Bandit series make such a hit with steel players and still have a 12" speaker..plenty of power for small gig and has a gain control of for a little crunch if that's your thing..Picked up for $75...Want to add fender makes these sidekicks in 30, 25,20 watt models as well as the 35 all with reverb tanks that sound superb and in at around 20#..I have a Nashville 400 and a vegas 400 also, so believe me I have something to compare these little fenders too and they are unbeatable for their price IMHO
Last edited by Derrick Unger on 20 Aug 2018 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

My practice amp is a ZT Club. 200 watts, 22 pounds. I use the Quilter for performing.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Andrew,
What price range are you willig to pay?
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Andrew, here is a used Boss Katana for $280.00. Not mine.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/msg/d/ ... 45376.html

Here is a sample of mine at home practising.

http://picosong.com/wYH9w/
Willie Sims

Post by Willie Sims »

A OLD CASSET TAPE RECORDER WITH A MIC IN AND HEAD PHONE OUT. SET ON RECORD SOUND'S GOOD;NO BODY CAN HEAR YOUR MISTAKES. CHEAPER THAN DIRT.
Mike Beley

Post by Mike Beley »

I practice with a Fender Rumble 15.
very small, and has a headphone out.
It's a bass amp so it's nice and warm.

I paid 75.00 used!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Quilter has a cool tiny 45w stomp box sized amp known of as a Micro 45 that has both a headphone and speaker out as well as a guitar and aux in w a tone and volume control. It can fit in your shirt pocket.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

I think it would be hard to beat the value, features, sounds, capabilities, portability etc of the small (50 watt) Katana,,,used less than $200.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I previously mentioned that I use a ZT club.
the company has a new version called the Jazz Club. It has a slightly larger cabinet and a mid range control.

Unlike the original Club, which was designed for rock players, the new amp is for jazz guitarists. It is based on the old Polytone Mini-brute. I have not had a chance to try one out yet, but I think it's going to be a very good steel amp.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin