Recording Steel seems muddy

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Lambert

Recording Steel seems muddy

Post by Greg Lambert »

When I use a mic { Berihenger condenser , Peavey Studio ,
Shure 58. Cant figure it out. Going into Zoom R8.

Derby D10 .. Nashville 400 Pre out or 2nd plug on RV5 .
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There are many "ifs". Placement of mic in reference to the speaker is one. The Zoom is another. Amp EQ setting. And more.

With the Zoom R8, are you recording a "wav" file or an MP3 file? A wav is full fidelity, an MP3 is something less than full fidelity and depending on the MP3 bitrate some are "more less" than full fidelity.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

muddy ? cut the bottom end at 100 hz...start there. It's not the recorder, the mic or the instrument .

This is where our knowledge of the EQ spectrum comes front and center .
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Start at the source - you haven't described your workspace. The "mud" may be coloration from room reflections. Even an SM57 close to the cone is not immune if a standing wave happens to have a node at that point.

Tony's suggestion of winding some bass out may help superficially, but of course you'll also remove bass you might want to hear.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

I moved my bass to 2 and the shift to 800 plus used my Izzy and this helped immensely for a direct recording! I usually set my shift on 300 when playing out and this gets the sound I want but its a different animal on a recording.

the Izzy really helps with string separation sounds too.

Thanks for the input..
Leroy Golden

Post by Leroy Golden »

Direct in, volume pedal only in the chain, you can usually play around with it as much as you like after.
werner althaus

Post by werner althaus »

get the amp off the floor and out of the corner if it isn't already, move the mics around to get closer to what you want, THEN use EQ to fine tune.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Fresh strings might help
Bob
Dave Stroud

Post by Dave Stroud »

I'm not an expert... But I wouldn't use a condenser mic in a room that isn't acoustically treated. That can create some muddiness. I acoustically treated our studio room by covering it with GIK bass traps and thick panels, and now condenser mics are much more usable. Going direct through great gear can be good, but that can be pricy too.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I use a Shure SM-57 into a Studio Projects pre-amp then in to the Zoom. I had no luck with the mic going direct to the Zoom. Muddy tone and lots of noise from the Zoom pre-amps. The Studio Projects pre-amp has zero detectable noise at any gain setting. It's as good as any higher priced unit I've tried. Love my Zoom for what it does and nothing is perfect.

My setup:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%2 ... tudio.html

Studio Projects pre-amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Projects- ... mic+preamp
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:I use a Shure SM-57 into a Studio Projects pre-amp then in to the Zoom. I had no luck with the mic going direct to the Zoom. Muddy tone and lots of noise from the Zoom pre-amps. The Studio Projects pre-amp has zero detectable noise at any gain setting. It's as good as any higher priced unit I've tried. Love my Zoom for what it does and nothing is perfect.

My setup:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%2 ... tudio.html

Studio Projects pre-amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Projects- ... mic+preamp
That preamp is pretty slick. I really like the insert on the unit. I was using a studio Channel by presonus till it went out. Nothing but hiss from it now. They want $175 to repair it. No thanks , It only lasted a couple of years. I paid $299 for the unit. When it worked it was great.