Gibson Console Grande question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim VanBuskirk

Gibson Console Grande question

Post by Jim VanBuskirk »

Ive got a double neck Console Grande from the mid 50's with the 4-8-4 pickups. Its in fantastic cosmetic shape but the upper neck pickup is a bit weak in the bass section. all the switches and pots seem to work fine and the lower neck pickup is perfect. i have replaced the capacitors with new ones of the proper values as one of the original ones had failed from age.
is there a schematic anywhere for this guitar and/or is there anyone who i can contact who may have a solution for the pickup dilemma ? May require some rewiring or pickup repair ??
the guitar is in such nice original shape and the lower pickup sounds so nice it would be nice to fix it.
thanks in advance for any help.
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

Jim, Actually, I have a full diagram which I created a few years ago when I got mine. I will check the files and send you a copy. I have sent copies to some of the pickup rewinders.
Actually the 4-8-4, is really three pickups on each neck.
The switching system changes the configuration to give different tones.
The caps were bad on mine as well and the bass pickup on the top neck was open and required rewinding.
Since you have replaced the caps, you already know how difficult this guitar is to work on.
Mine is a CG-520, which is identical to your's except that it does not have the stutter, and boo-wah switches.
Jim VanBuskirk

Console Grande

Post by Jim VanBuskirk »

thank you Blake.
ive got a tech here in Reno that can follow the schematic and trouble shoot the wiring and switches. once the neck is out of the guitar its alot easier to get to everything. in my case it still could be just a wiring or switch issue but we cant tell until a bit more dis-assembly is done. im assuming you have my email for the drawing you have.
if it is the pickup is there anyone you would suggest to do the rewinding or repair ????
thanks again for the diagram in advance - life seems a bit better already !!
Jim VanBuskirk

Cg

Post by Jim VanBuskirk »

also - my tech here does alot of Hammond organ repair and says that the multi-position tone switch was also used by Hammond for switching the Leslie wiring. Good to know for anyone having switch problems - maybe even me !!
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

Jim, I don't have your e mail. Please send me a PM with it and I'll send the diagram. I'll also send you my phone number in case you or your tech have any questions.
Jim VanBuskirk

Cg

Post by Jim VanBuskirk »

Blake - i just sent you a PM with my email and phone but it doesnt seem to show in my "sent' folder - so i tried a second time.
if you dont receive it let me know and ill just post it here
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Nice. Wish I had one. I love the sound of those pickups.
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

Jim, I got the PM and the e mail with the diagram
is on the way. The construction of this series of CG is exceptional and I think, under appreciated.
It does not sound like a Fender. It took me a while to get used to it. It is a very comfortable steel to play.
Has a wide range of tones.