Can we sound like a dobro too?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Martin

Can we sound like a dobro too?

Post by Matt Martin »

I was just wondering if there was an electronic device, of sorts, to get a dobro sound. Maybe an inexpensive pedal or something?? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks...Mr. Eightstack
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

The Bo-Bro may be your answer. A new pedal box Bobbe Seymour just came out with. Check'em out @ Steel Guitar Nashville.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Don't see the Bo-Bro there.

Do you have a link?
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

As I understand it the Bo-Bro has only been out a month or so & Bobbye hasn't
advertized it....
Call Bobbye & place your order..
Allan Todd

Post by Allan Todd »

I saw gerry hogan recently with Albert Lee and he got a very realistic dobro sound from his steel,after the show I asked how he did it and he handed me a solid rubber bar!I have since experimented with various materials (wood/plastic/etc.)and I am getting pretty close to the dobro sound.
Isle of Wight steely
ZB custom
Vibrosonic
Etc.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Peavey ProFex II,program # 113,("Dobro?") + 127 other steel programs. What more could you ask for?

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There have been several dobro "simulators" on the market. Zumsteel marketed one for a short time. Bobbe Seymour has one that according to reports on the forum is doing well. Goodrich has had the "MatchBro" series of units out for quite a while (the original unit was designed by Buddy Emmons). Goodrich had discontinued the MatchBro line but has recently reintroduced a new model.

I've been using one of the original model MatchBro's since it first came out and have done several recording sessions using it and have even fooled Bluegrass pickers who thought it was a real dobro.

Marrs had a "cat can" model at one time but it was a separate lap steel type guitar, not an electronic simulator.
Heiko Aehle

Post by Heiko Aehle »

I use live and on recording sessions the Super Bro Matchbro and I really like it. Has a powerful clear dobro effect, but much tooo expensive as I bought it years ago.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Years back, a steeler from Buffalo whose name I can't remember (I think his first name was Sandy) had a D-10 with the back neck strung with and tuned to Dobro strings. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 14 July 2005 at 08:56 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

While you may be able to find a gadget that will 'simulate' the sound of a resophonic guitar, you need to learn to play the 'dobro' style - keep off the pedals and the fancy chords. Otherwise, you will just sound like a steel guitar player trying to play a dobro sound.

Thanx,
Jim
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Jim, you are correct. You have to think "dobro", not Pedal Steel or it will sound like S...t.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Hmmm...I would buy a double neck steel with E9 and 6 or 8 string dobro w/resonator type attachment on the other neck.
I wonder why no one's ever marketed one?
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Dobro on steel sounds like OLD time dobro - Brother Oswald stuff, with tremolo. No way you can duplicate the hammers and pulloffs of bluegrass dobro on steel - the right combinations aren't there, and you'd have to use a bar with sharp edges.

Tonally you can do it - stylistically, it's limited. IMO if you want a Dobro sound...buy a Dobro.

Jim Sliff, '76 OMI Custom Mahogany Dobro, Lap Dawg bar.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Can anyone tell my why these manufacturers of Dobro simulators didn't have their plastic bars made like the Stevens bar? Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I have a pedal and knee lever that puts strings 3 thru 8 on my C6th into a G tuning like a Dobro (see my copedant in the C6 copedent thread). Used to have a Match-Bro but had to sell it. I will probably buy one of Bobbe's pretty soon.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400