Free* to good home in Britain

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Ian Rae

Free* to good home in Britain

Post by Ian Rae »

British steelers, sadly I need to part with this:-

I can no longer lift it, or indeed play it as I tried the other day and I'm so used to my uni now that the idea of getting it out for special occasions is gone.

It's a very solid instrument with a good tone. It's hard to put a value on it so I won't. It's free to a good home. Someone might want to just play it or it would be a great subject for restoration (for which I don't have the skill or the patience). It would cost a lot to ship so I'll deliver* for the cost of the petrol within a reasonable distance or meet half way.

I have more info and more pictures. Here is how it is presently set up:-

Anyone interested?
Last edited by Ian Rae on 22 Dec 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jack Goodson

Britain?

Post by Jack Goodson »

Sure wish I lived in Britain....jack
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

No you don't - the weather's lousy :)
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Must be a student somewhere in UK who needs a guitar...
Shane Turner

Post by Shane Turner »

Where are you in the UK? I have a friend that can pick it up possibly.
Thanks
Shane Turner
Alan Cook

Post by Alan Cook »

Ian

I'll take it if it's still available? Could arrange meet or collect. Alan.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Lovely guitar.
What's that tuning on the second neck?
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

It's C6, Jeff, but not as we know it! It's actually B6, which I did to correlate with uni tuning.

P8 did lower 9 & 10 but I took them off in favour of raising 9 (but not 10 for some reason) - it was a while ago and I forget.

Here's an old recording done on the camera mic - techniques have improved since!

http://youtu.be/VaEmQSIsKcU
Arlan Schierbaum

New Home for PSG please thank you ~

Post by Arlan Schierbaum »

Hello Ian

Perhaps someone is in line ahead of me, but I would love to give this PSG a new home. Since I have started playing PSG more recently (after 40 years of keyboards) I am trying to get more than one guitar, for variations in feel, tone, tunings and copedent... our asking price is very helpful in that regard. Also I am a big fan of lacquer, and love the tone of this era ~ (o:

Please keep me in mind as well and thank you so much ~

~ Arlan Oscar Schierbaum
ZumSteel D101197650 (lacquer/wood necks) ~ Fender, Vox, Mesa Boogie ~ Ernie Ball, TC Electronics, Jim Dunlop
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

In case you're wondering how this instrument found its way over here I'll explain. There used to be a music store owner here who would go over to the States every year and buy up used brass and woodwind instruments - enough to fill a container - refurbish them and sell them on. It was a successful business for many years.

One day I was in the store and this PSG was standing incongruously in the corner. They didn't know what it was or what it was worth. It was clearly not in working order and had been thrown in with a job lot of horns. I gave them $300 equivalent and had them put it in my car. It sat in my garage for years before I got round to making it playable. My lack of knowledge at that time lead to the underneath being variously over- and under- engineered.

No-one knows who built it. It is a very good copy of a Sho-Bud Permanent. You can just about see where it once carried a stuck-on badge.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

***GONE***

Looks like it's found a home - to save you the trouble of any further messages, I'll announce right here if that falls through.

Many thanks to all those who have shown interest.
Andy DePaule

Ian is one very decent fella!

Post by Andy DePaule »

Ian you are one very good fella...
So nice of you it makes me proud to have been born in Oldham and still be a duel national with a British Passport as well as my US one.
Best wishes,
Andy
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Tim Herman

Post by Tim Herman »

I tip my hat to you sir! A very kind thing to do. Class act!
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Good on you, Ian. Stories such as this one are uplifitng and a great way to greet the New Year. Stevet