Hammond worth anything?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Shane Turner

Hammond worth anything?

Post by Shane Turner »

This was outside an old church near me. Is it worth picking up?

Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

very heavy and needs people as well as something to haul it in. IF it has tube innards, there are people who turn them into great guitar amps. the wood and additional parts can be parted out.

IF you are a keyboard player and it works, then it could be a lot of fun, as is. find the model number and search online for details.

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

I'm 95% sure that's a transistor model and not a tube & tonewheel model. No market value that I'm aware of but could be fun if you have an enormous rec room that you want to play phantom of the opera in.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You've got the organ, now all you need is a roller skating rink! :D
Art Beard

Organ

Post by Art Beard »

If u have the back, help and room 4 it. GRAB IT. All musical instruments have some value to someone. Could be a lot of fun, or trouble. But anyone that plays an instrument like the pedal steel, has to be a few bricks short of a load. lol
"like an old stallion, lonely for freedom, still trying to out run the wind" Seals,Setser,& Davey.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I would say no, not really.
It's not a tone-wheel Hammond, and those are the ones you want if you want that classic Hammond sound.
B3/C3/A100/RT3, and to a lesser extent, M3.

On second glance, it may be a tone-wheel, but if so, it doesn't seem to have the percussion or chorus/vibrato circuit that runs off a scanner. Doesn't have waterfall keys, so you wouldn't be able to play it like you would a B.

A pic of the backside showing the guts would be nice to see...could tell you more if I saw one.

Still, all in all, I'd take a pass.
Shane Turner

Post by Shane Turner »

Thanks for the advise. I let it sit where it was. Someone who wants and knows about it will get it I hope.
b0b

Post by b0b »

A friend of mine had a hard time giving one away. It's a pity because they really are nice parlor instruments.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

b0b wrote:A friend of mine had a hard time giving one away. It's a pity because they really are nice parlor instruments.
True that! My dad had one when he died...
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Some things like that make nice house ornaments...

When I was growing up, we had a jukebox right by the front door – a Seeburg Select-O-Matic 100, which looked just about like the one on Happy Days. This isn't the very one, but it's this model..

That puppy worked, too. We had a few butter cookie tins full of 45s and we used to play it all the time. My mom claims that she used to play Love Beads (Chet Atkins I think) for us when we were in the womb. Now how's that for music cred? 8)
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

That looks to be a Concorde 2000 series, maybe a 2100 possibly a 2300.

Not exactly a desirable tonewheel generator Hammond but has that roller skate rink approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYIcgVNgDjc

These days items like this and the economy of having them are not enjoying a boom.

But it has a lot of bells and whistles, and you can record with them, if you know how to pull drawbars.

Sad many of these go to a landfill.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I for one enjoyed the demo on You Tube immensely. :D
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Fred Justice wrote:I for one enjoyed the demo on You Tube immensely. :D
In the right hands these organs are the shiznit.

Although not a Hammond, think Garth Hudson of The Band.

UPDATE:

It's been confirmed the organ in the OP's photo (Hi Shane!) is a Hammond Elegante 340200 series. These models are what is known as a theater organ.

Hammond Elegante

The Elegante in this clip was being sold for close to $7000 (2014) but with an additional external Leslie. Figure a grand and a half for the Leslie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdb7ge__1iE

It appears the Elegante was worth $12,000 new.

Elegante with external Leslie 720 typical Leslie for this model organ as it involves other speakers that connect to effects, reverb, percussion.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Godfrey wrote:
Garth Hudson bought a Lowrey organ when he joined the Band in the early sixties. So should this be the one?
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Joachim Kettner wrote:Godfrey wrote:
Garth Hudson bought a Lowrey organ when he joined the Band in the early sixties. So should this be the one?
Yes Joachim. He was a Lowrey fan, mostly because these top of the line organs had symphony sounds, strings that you could trigger off the keys, the days before MIDI.

I used to sell Lowrey organs and although I dragged around a B3 I was willing to trade the B3 for a top of the line Lowrey for the same reasons Garth liked them. The sounds were really different. Mostly theater pipe organ tones. Interesting note, Lowrey engineers found the Hammond sounds inferior to want to find new sounds for their organs.

Here's Garth's Lowrey H25-3

Garth's Leslie switching are seen on the left rail of the organ underneath the cassette tape machines, the still to this day go-to "halfmoon" Leslie switch.
The metal gray box underneath is the Leslie connection interface for external Leslie speakers.

Leslie halfmoon speaker rotor speed control switch.

Leslie 122R(v) cabinet with the reverb spring tank and amp removed (reverb tube amp is missing sat next to the top rotor and tank missing was usually on the back cover of this cabinet). Black box to the right is a 6x9 speaker that carried the reverb sound of the organ coming from the internal reverb in this model Leslie. Reverb tones exit through small vents on side of cabinet (not shown). The Hammond Elegante as did many theater organs even Garth's Lowrey had internal Leslies but they were only the lower wood (or foam) rotor portion without the top high frequency driver rotor as seen in the 122 above.

Early '60's Garth and his Lowrey H25-3

Not playing a Lowrey but a Hammond B3 is Garth:
https://youtu.be/k3cd99Wj-T4

Garth on his signature theater organ tones:
https://youtu.be/Y2h5XLcBZBM
Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 7 Mar 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Joachim Kettner

Thanks for your effort and time to answer my question!
Grat links also. Did you know that he played on the first three albums by the Call. Don't know if Garth used a Lowrey on those, but they're worthy to give them a listen.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Joachim Kettner wrote:Thanks for your effort and time to answer my question!
Grat links also. Did you know that he played on the first three albums by the Call. Don't know if Garth used a Lowrey on those, but they're worthy to give them a listen.
You're welcome!

Yes my favorite The Call song "The Walls Came Down."

If this song isn't apropos in these modern times...
God rest you Michael Been:
https://youtu.be/vAxg8nuvPKM

Love this video! Garth plays call and response par excellence.

He used Yamaha organs as well in his career a YC-30. But what he's playing the The Call video is an unusual Yamaha as it has tabs in the center.

Update: It's a Yamaha CS series synth perhaps a CS-60 in the video.

Yamaha YC-30
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Joachim Kettner

I'm so glad you like them also! Yes, RIP Michael Been.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »