Boss pwr supply ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Glenn Shankle

Boss pwr supply ?

Post by Glenn Shankle »

I need to replace my PSA 120t boss power supply. Apparently this has been discontinued and replaced with PSA 120s. Does this sound right to anybody who knows? Also, a search on Amazon shows some cheaper than Boss brands. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
Tom Dillon

Post by Tom Dillon »

I've had good luck with these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611690

Same 9v / 500mA as the Roland ones and only $5 on sale now
Tom Dillon
- MSA Legend, On-Trak, fiddles, mandos
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

additionally, I have bought off of EBAY ,some very similar spec'd Camera power supplies for 1/4 the price. Some had the same connector , some had to be modified. It's the specs that matter, not the brand. Just make sure the +/- is correct .

Behringer has an accessories PS with the exact same specs and connectors as well, I recall grabbing a couple of those at probably half the price as well. I carry one of those in my gig bag 100% of the time.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Here's a pdf. master guide of replacement power supplies for Boss/Roland products. clickhere

FWIW, I'm running a couple of Boss pedals off the Godlyke power-all unit for multiple 9v DC units. Works fine.

Just be sure the voltage and current output are correct and maintain polarity. Your unit or power supply, or both should show a diagram of polarity.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Just out of curiosity, what are you powering with it?
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Just be sure the voltage and current output are correct...
I might add that simply reading the voltage specification printed on the label is not enough. Many wall warts have no voltage regulator circuit. If so it might deliver 9VDC at 500mA as promised on the label, but it could put out 14V or more on a light load. From my experience I can assure you that some effects devices will not tolerate the overvoltage. I let smoke out of a perfectly good EH pedal that way. I check them with a voltmeter now.

Also I have tried some wall warts that work ok except they are noisy. That's more likely if its original application was battery charging (a cordless phone, for example) where good filtering isn't necessary.
Glenn Shankle

Post by Glenn Shankle »

Thanks for the replies and discussion. Powering a DD3.