Stringmaster Scale Lengths ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bob Snelgrove

Stringmaster Scale Lengths ?

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Hi Gang

As I await the arrival of my new SM, I have read that there were different scale lengths. (See my "Should I Buy It" thread)

I had read the shorter scale was better for slants?

Can you tell what the scale on mine is by looking at it or ser#?

thx!

Bob
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Speaking as one Bob to another--

My best guess is that your guitar is a 22.5" (short scale). My guess is based on the extra room in the case. I'm told Fender made only one size case to accomodate all scale lengths, or at least the 24.5 and 22.5.

Some, but not all, Hawaiian players prefer the 22.5 because slants in the low register are a little cleaner. Seems like almost all country, swing, jazz players prefer the 24.5" with its slightly better sustain and better tone up the the neck. Whether 22.5 or 24.5 (the 26" is really rare and has no blend control), these are great steels. Enjoy your new ax! And let us know if my guess was right.

Best,

Bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 09 November 2001 at 08:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Biagini

Post by David Biagini »

Hello Bob. My '56 Stringmaster has the 22.5" scale and I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with it. It has great tone and lots of sustain. Tweaking the pickup height made a noticeable difference.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Either way Bob, you made out like a "champ". Image
Mikel Nelson

Post by Mikel Nelson »

You can determine scale length (usually) by
where the highest position markers are on
the neck.
22.5" --> 29th fret
24.5" --> 31st fret
26" --> 33rd fret
David Biagini

Post by David Biagini »

Howard's right. Let us know when you get it.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Came today!!!

Short scale

Sustains for days Image

More later, and plenty of ????'s, I'm sure

WOW..................

Bob
Todd Weger

Post by Todd Weger »

Hey Bob -- Congrats on your "new" Stringmaster. I just LOVE these steels.

I have both the 22.5" and the 24.5" scales, and like them both, for different reasons. The longer scale is best for reasons cited above (longer sustain, great for swing and jazz), but the shorter scale has a slightly "fatter" sound, due to being able to use thicker strings, which I think sounds better for playing blusier stuff. When I'm playing Hawaiian, I find a key tonal device is to pick the strings around the 17th fret mark, which adds more of that "clarinet-y" tone (what I call it, anyway). While it is easier for slants lower on the neck, I don't find the difference TOO hard to adjust to.

In any case, IMO, weather short or long scale, Leo Fender hit a Grand Slam (of the many that he hit) with these wonderful instruments. Now, I just need to add a trapezoid p'up model like a Custom or Dual Pro to my stable!

Aloha,
TJW
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

""but the shorter scale has a slightly "fatter" sound, due to being able to use thicker strings, which I think sounds better for playing blusier stuff.""

Hey Todd,

Thanks for bringing up the "thicker strings" thought. I put strings on it last night and compared to my pedal steel, the C6 tension feels soft and looser with the same gauge strings. If I push straight down on the string, it doesn't have the same tension.

I layed in bed last night wondering if there is some simple conversion like increasing the gauge by 10% or so to make up for the shorter scale?

My main concern was overstressing the guitar so I will wait for opinions
on what is a safe increase.

Overall, I am so thrilled. You guys were so right about these Jewels

Mahalo,

Bob
David Biagini

Post by David Biagini »

Hello Bob, he's a set of tunings and string guages that I got from Ricky Davis. They work great on my 22.5" scale Stringmaster.

E6/9 tuning 8-string
(short scale)

G# .012 plain
E .015 plain
C# .018 plain
B .020 plain
G# .024 wound
F# .028 wound
E .032 wound
D .038 wound

C6 tuning 8-string
(short scale)