Rip Barney Miller

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ben ODell

Rip Barney Miller

Post by Ben ODell »

My heart is heavy announcing the passing of my lifelong friend and musician.

Barney was a former member of the United States Army and served his country gallantly during the Korean war. We "SALUTE" you Barney for your strength and courage.

Barney also built beautiful steel guitars.

He has left behind so many, many friends and will surely be missed.

Please join me in prayer for Ms Mary and his beautiful family.

We love you Barney!
Number 2 washtub, broom handle, and a strang
If it ain't got steel in it, It Ain't
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

This is from our GaSGA Legend page, when Barney was honored for his contribution and promotion of the steel guitar within Georgia - 2014. He will be missed!
Mr. Barney Miller, GaSGA's 2014 Legend recipient, was born in Elba, Alabama and raised in Mobile, Alabama.
He started steel guitar lessons at the age of 12, and later that year his dad bought him a 6 string National single neck steel.

At age 15, he joined the Sonny Burns band. The first job for the band was with Dub Taylor’s “Hollywood Star” in New York.

His next gig was with Al “Fuzzy” St. John playing theaters all over the country. By that time, he was playing a double neck National 8 string.

He entered the Armed Service in 1950, and was part of an amphibious Inchon landing in Korea.

In 1953, back in the USA, he joined the Claude Casey Show, playing 5 TV shows weekly and concerts with Grand Ole Opry groups.

Later and auto accident stopped his playing for a few years.

Shot Jackson built Barney a Sho~Bud double 8 string pedal steel in 1962, which he plays to this day.
Barney’s favorite song is “How High The Moon” by Les Paul.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

So sorry to hear this..so glad that I got to spend some time with him back when.. I got to know him thru Jimmy C., who thought the world of him too. Condolences to his family.
Larry Moore

Barney Miller's Arrangements

Post by Larry Moore »

Obituary for Barney Y. Miller

A Funeral Service for Mr. Miller will be held on Monday, November 6, 2017, 2:00 PM, at the Chapel of Caldwell & Cowan Funeral Home, 1215 Access Road, in Covington,Ga. with Rev. Jim Ross officiating. Interment will follow in Snellville Historical Cemetery, Snellville.Ga.

Friends may visit with his family at the funeral home:
Sunday, November 5, from 5:00 – 8:00 PM.
Memorial donations may be made to Swift Presbyterian Church, Hand Bell Music, 23208 Swift Church Road, Foley, AL 36535. www.swiftchurch.org
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Sad news. Just stoped by his house on the way south this year and had a chance to pic some together. Barney we will mis you. Mary, may god bless you and help you through this time.
Warren Cohran

Post by Warren Cohran »

Barney and mary were like family sure gonna miss him .
Steve Geis

Post by Steve Geis »

I got to hang out with Barney in his "shop" a couple of times and it was a real treat. Barney had some great stories from over the years & I loved to listen to them. Barney helped me with Mr Sandman licks & changes too. Great guy; I will miss him. RIP my friend.
Jack Goodson

Barney

Post by Jack Goodson »

Barney was a great friend, I invited Barney to the last couple of shows that we had here and he was not able to come because of health reasons. He was a great player. The Sierra in the above photo is one he got from me...jack