volume pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Baseman

volume pedal

Post by Bill Baseman »

I am considering getting a volume pedal. I was curious if a volume pedal is for pedal steel only or can be used with a regular guitar as well? I think I need one for both purposes.

I find that my guitar sounds better with the volume all the way up on it but I can never seem to find the right volume setting on the amp to go with it. It is either to loud or too quiet. I thought the volume pedal might allow for the amp to be turned up, as well as the volume on the guitar, and then I could control the volume through the pedal. Any thoughts?

Bill
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Bill... I would say give it a try. I have used a pedal on guitar and steel for about 29 years.. I would be lost without it. Lots of guitarists use a vol pedal in the effects chain... give it a shot... bob
Bill Baseman

Post by Bill Baseman »

Bob,

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on an inexpensive volume pedal. I am not that great on either psg or guitar but want something that will be reliable when I play guitar with friends.

Bill
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I'll chime in here and say I don't leave home without one, steel, guitar, or otherwise if I plug it in. With some guitars like a Tele, it's possible to just curl your finger around the volume and ride it, but I still like the precision of a volume pedal.

It's good for steel-like volume swells, as a 'manual noise gate', or to simply ride the volume to keep it low when playing backup.

For non-pedal-steel application, the small Ernie Ball pedals are inexpensive and just fine. They don't work so well for pedal steel because they changed the design to put the I/O jacks in the front instead of the side like everyone else does (and they also used to do). I know guitar players that just have to have a Sho Bud pedal. But I like my Goodrich L-120. They show up in the "For Sale: Amps and Accessories" frequently.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

My friend Dave is correct.. I still use an OLD EB pedal and its fine.. You can find them pretty cheap.. just look at the photo and make sure the I/O females are on the SIDE of the pedal... bob
Bill Baseman

Post by Bill Baseman »

Well it turns out this post was for nothing. My wife worked all day and had no idea I even wrote this post. Tonight after dinner she brought out this package for me and told me it was an early father's day gift because of this party me and my buddy's band is playing next week.
The package? A Goodrich L120. Life is good. Sometimes I hope I win the lottery. Then I realize I already have.

Bill
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yes, life is good. Enjoy. Image
Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

The Goodrich 120 (and L120) is good hardware. I like the Emmons better because it stays where I put it, but don't get an Emmons if you want to use it with guitar. It's meant to be attached the pedal bar, and is not self-supporting.

Charlie
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Charles,

There are 'adapter brackets' available to use with the Emmons pedal so that it can be used 'free-standing'.

A properly working Goodrich pedal will 'stay where you put it'.
Yours may need an adjustment.

~Russ
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Bill, I think a volume pedal is a necessity if you're after that compressed Tele sound that's all over the airways. I always run my Tele to a compressor and then to a volume pedal and just keep the Tele turned all the way up. The vast majority of compressors and a lot of distortion units loose it when you turn the volume knob on the guitar down, they need that full signal to operate correctly.....JH in Va.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

for years Ive only used my pinky for volume effects. that was before I starteds playing lap steel and now pedal steel.
I bought an EB.
now I use it with everything. it's last in my chain.
on PSG those front jacks do get in the way, but my Sho-Bud has just enough room under the support bar between the two front legs. it's a little tight behind. I could see where that right knee lever would be harder to use.
fortunately for me I dnt use it; I am such a newbie on PSG. havent found a use for it yet.

ok you pros out there. let me have it ; I can take it.