Is there software that will scan and play sheet music?

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Duke

Is there software that will scan and play sheet music?

Post by Steve Duke »

A friend of mine that plays Spanish Guitar (not professional) ask if I knew of a software program that will scan a sheet of music and play that score. Anybody know? Thanks
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

never heard of anything like that, but who knows. Remember though, a scan is just a picture. It is not a detailed line by line copy of the original.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Actually, I believe both Sibelius and Finale have add-on programs that allow you to scan in a piece of sheet music and then play it.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

And if they can do that, Jimbeaux, the next step would be to reverse the process. Download a recording and have sheet music/tablature print out. Maybe I should be careful what I ask for...then I wouldn't have a hobby! :)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well, sheet music separates out all the parts in advance (i.e., 1st violin, 2nd violin, cellos, horns, basses, etc.). A recording comes across as just a jumble of notes. I don't think there's anything out there yet that can keep track of which instruments are playing each of the notes that are heard. That is not a trivial problem to solve.
Steve Duke

Post by Steve Duke »

Thanks for the responses. Jim: you could use the two programs you mentioned if you had the score for each instrument then? And, maybe mix the different outputs into one?
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Steve Duke wrote:Thanks for the responses. Jim: you could use the two programs you mentioned if you had the score for each instrument then? And, maybe mix the different outputs into one?
I don't own either program myself so I can't say for sure, but I expect you could do that.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Jim Cohen wrote:I believe both Sibelius and Finale have add-on programs that allow you to scan in a piece of sheet music and then play it.
Certainly Sibelius does. I have hardly used it but it works within certain limitations. The more modern the typesetting the better.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Even better, $3.99. I guess it plays it back on your iPad itself, right? Are there sufficient voices inside iPad to do that, I wonder?

Whoever tries it out, let us all know how it goes!
James Mayer

Post by James Mayer »

Jim Cohen wrote:Even better, $3.99. I guess it plays it back on your iPad itself, right? Are there sufficient voices inside iPad to do that, I wonder?

ah, thought I read $4.99.
James Mayer

Post by James Mayer »

Jim Cohen wrote: Are there sufficient voices inside iPad to do that, I wonder?

Instruments: Acoustic Bass, Alto Sax, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Cello, Choir, Clarinet, Double Bass, Flute, French Horn, Guitar - Classical, Clean, Distortion, Mandolin, Harp, Organ (Pipe, Percussive, Reed, Tonewheel), Piano, Recorder, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Viola, Violin. Actual instrument pitch supported for transposing instruments.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Yeah, I read that the software represents those voices but doesn't the iPad itself have to contain them to produce the sounds, or do you think the software is actually delivering the sounds to the iPad. Yeah, maybe that's it...
James Mayer

Post by James Mayer »

I seem to remember PCs had to have voices installed, like soundfonts. I'm not aware of any situation like that for the iPad. When app says it has those voices, it can play them in the app without further dependencies needed. iReal Pro, Guitar Pro, TEFView (Tabledit), for example.
James Mayer

Post by James Mayer »

James Mayer

Post by James Mayer »

Here's a comparison of three software sheet music scanners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1RENjWnLU
Steve Duke

Post by Steve Duke »

James: The youtube examples you posted, these are all ipad apps and not software programs, correct?
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

well there ya have it ! :lol:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Capella Scan & Play is a "light" version of Capella Scan that does exactly what you're asking. It's a PC program https://www.capella-software.com/us/ind ... scan-play/. It's $38.

I have the regular pro version 7.0 (they're on 8.x now), it will also export to midi or to music xml for editing in programs like Finale and Sibelius. It works really well but it is of course a lot more expensive if you don't need that functionality.
Steve Duke

Post by Steve Duke »

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks Ian:This is exactly what I'm looking for (I think). I didn't see system requirements. I'm still running windows XP. Some of the new software doesn't work on XP. thanks
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

I do like the ability to play a piece of music on a midi equipped instrument and have a musical notation print out of everything you played. Back in the old days we had to sit down and hand write lead sheets for copyrights. I see no reason not to be able to do the reverse except the music would have to be OCR (Optical Character Recognition). You couldn't grab just any music and scan it.
b0b

Re: Is there software that will scan and play sheet music?

Post by b0b »

Steve Duke wrote:A friend of mine that plays Spanish Guitar (not professional) ask if I knew of a software program that will scan a sheet of music and play that score. Anybody know? Thanks
The human brain can do that. :mrgreen:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jim Cohen

Re: Is there software that will scan and play sheet music?

Post by Jim Cohen »

b0b wrote:
Steve Duke wrote:A friend of mine that plays Spanish Guitar (not professional) ask if I knew of a software program that will scan a sheet of music and play that score. Anybody know? Thanks
The human brain can do that. :mrgreen:
... but only some of them. A minority, actually... ;)
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Heeheehehaw! bOb speaks the truth! That's funny.