Is Emmons Guitar out of business?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

Rick,

I wouldn't expect to get parts for a 40 year old machine of any type from the manufacturer. Maybe they've got some stuff laying around, but I wouldn't count on it. Having said that, it seems that Emmons is reissuing some push/pulls, so maybe they do have parts. If/when I talk to them I'll ask.

The problem is the same in the auto industry. Back in 1996 I tried to get some trim parts for an '86 Olds G-Body project, and the squirts working the parts desk weren't even aware that Olds had ever made a rear-wheel-drive car! They had to dig the boss out to help find the parts book because they had trashed the microfiche for everything over 5 years old.

10 years is the rule in most industries. Outside that window you're on your own.

Charlie
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I wouldn't worry, Rick.

Push Pulls have such a loyal following, and were produced in such high numbers that I think parts will always be available from someone.

Like Model T Ford parts. You won't get them from the factory, but there's still a lot being produced.
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Mabe someone will come along like JOHN COOP is doing for SHO-BUD.those parts could be cut with laser,ect.make better parts than origional.Just my thinking.
farris
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I hope if it is true that somebody would come along and financially bail Emmons out so that the name could live long in the steel world. I'm sure Joey's right about parts too. Good luck to them at any rate.

Rick
Randy Gilliam

Post by Randy Gilliam »

I ordered A New Legrande 111 April 14TH 2004 .I Sent 400.00 Deposit.How can they build a push pull faster than a all pull? I will continue too wait because I have already tryed Brand X . When brand X can get the Emmons TONE I Might Consider One.EmmonSless In San Antonio.
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

Hey Rick,
No problem with parts man,Just get with Mike Cass if you need anything. If he doesn't have it he can get it.
Al Carmichael

Post by Al Carmichael »

If this were a Carter thread, Carter Steels would have been on this with a definite response. Too much speculation. I wish Emmons would clear the air themselves. Opinions mean nothing compared to getting it from the horses mouth.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Al C, you beat me to it Image
yer post is just what i had in mind
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Emmons guitar, and the Lashleys, are not members of this Forum.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I think the replacement parts list is real. I called Emmons up several months ago and ordered a vertical knee lever kit for my p/p. Although they may have started making p/ps in the early '60s, they were made on a steady basis through the late '80s - quite a run. Except for the necks and tuners, all the other parts were pretty much the same throughout all those years. There is no other steel company from the early '60s still selling steels or parts.

This reminds me of two famous quotes:

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - old bumper sticker

"The rumors of my death are greatly exagerated." - Mark Twain
Cor Muizer Jr

Post by Cor Muizer Jr »

and a cabinet without endplates Ronnie !

further no other parts so where can you buy endplates changers and al the other stuff

not listed, al they other parts are legrande parts

trying to remember me that there was somebody they called them for a decal
and was hearing that they won't sell it because they keep it for themselves HA'!

------------------
Cor
soundengineer/steelplayer Rains D10 8×5 RED Goodrich LDR2

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Cor Muizer Jr on 16 May 2005 at 05:36 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Cor Muizer Jr on 16 May 2005 at 05:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I ordered some decals and chrome fretboards by phone and received them last Friday. Same great service as always. Image
Jerry<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 16 May 2005 at 07:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The Lashleys are still be making parts for the push/pulls. I got a letter a while back from Rebecca apologizing for taking a little longer on my new push/pull because they had to send some parts out for plating. Image
Erv
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Chrome fretboards?? Anybody got a picture of those? That sounds like they would look good on my new guitar.

Rick
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Rick take a look at this page. http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/emmons/emmons.htm

I think that Emmons still is in business and they will continue to do so.Maybe they had some bad times.But who hasn't?
It would be a big loss for our steel guitar community if something would happen to their business.
I still prefer the emmons guitar.I've tried several other brands.But I will always return to Emmons.I've build several steels myself but I can't reach that level of sound quality.
Maybe I will start a riod here with these words.But I would like to see that they will continue building great steel guitars.
In sound and quality they are still number one in my book.

Ron

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald ! on 16 May 2005 at 12:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Rick, you've already got chrome fret boards.
And, yes they do look good. Image
-John
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

So thats chrome fret boards huh. I had to scroll down and look at the pics again. Image

I should have my guitar in just a few more days. COME to poppa!! Thanks John

Rick
JW Day

Post by JW Day »

having taken my new sd-10 by ron's for a few minor adjustments a few months back,i encountered one of the new re-issues of the p/p's. I had owned 1 of these in the past and I could not tell any difference in the the two. seems to me that parts will be available for many yrs. to come. ron was telling me how many people were interested in purchasing a new p/p.I don't think we have any worries about parts.
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

<SMALL> Emmons guitar, and the Lashleys, are not members of this Forum.</SMALL>
This I really, really don't understand. You got more than 4000 people at hand that you could sell your products to, and you, like, just don't care? I'm shure that the presence of the Fabian's and Mike Brown for instance helps a lot creating an excellent and customer friendly image of their products.

I'm shure that many manufacturers of things would be very greatful for a promotional tool like this.

MArtin

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | GiMa squareneck

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I still bet that Ron can sell every guitar he makes...

RR
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I got mine, mine ,mine and one more for good measure. Two old ones, two new ones and a partridge in a pear tree..Hmmmmmm.
Keep them Emmons comin....

Old Bud
PS.. I need a bigger music room....
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Willis,

I like to take one of them old Emmons' of your hands my friend.

Thanks for your mail b.t.w.
My visit will still take place this year.I'm not sure about the date yet.Have to sort out a couple of things.But thanks for asking "Bud".As soon as I know more I will tell you my friend.

Ron
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

When I took my "all pull" to Ron Jr. to get a couple of changes done; he showed me a better idea than the one I had and it saved me money. I was amazed at the man's expertise at working on my guitar and he went out of his way to help me. Later I thought to myself, hey Ron Sr. taught him well. I still like the sound of this guitar as well as any I've heard and better than most. I have always been very pleased with the service I have received from Emmons.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I bought a new Emmons LeGrande III last November (2004) and found Ron and Rebecca Lashley to be great to work with. They returned my calls promptly and shipped the guitar as promised. The guitar is beautiful and plays great. I wanted an Emmons because I love that tone. There are a lot of great guitar builders and maybe some better than others, but I've noticed the Emmons goes pretty quick when one is for sale on the forum.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

What does a Legrande III in excellent shape sell for??