Question for electronics people

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Nugent

Question for electronics people

Post by David Nugent »

This thought occurred to me one day; Would it be possible to design a reverb pedal that is outfitted with jacks enabling it to be plugged into an actual spring tank rather than using one that is self contained and only attempts to replicate the spring effect (a tube driven model would be ideal IMO!) Honestly, how many of us presently employ outboard pedals while the reverb knob on the amp is turned to off and the tank sits unused in the rear? This system would appear to me to be a perfect way to install the effect in say a bass amp or to replace the on board unit in any amp if it has failed or possesses unsatisfactory tone, (or is someone actually offering such a beast and I am once again late to the dance?)
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It'd be possible, but you'd have to provide power from the amp, or a second power cable.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here is a spring reverb kit. But, its not a stomp box type.
Gets good reviews.
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... ing-reverb
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Lane, my thought was that it be powered similarly to most any effects pedal currently on the market, by batteries or a 9V or 12V external power supply...Jack.. that is basically what I had in mind but minus the on board tank.
Last edited by David Nugent on 4 Jul 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Why not try a Sole-Mate? An awesome compact spring reverb unit:
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Jack Hanson..Thank you for the link. Found another for the, 'Sole Mate Jr.' which appears to be exactly what I had in mind (the pedal came complete with a tank but it was not an integral part of the unit and was mounted remotely, so using the on board tank in any amp was entirely possible). Unfortunately, it was discontinued in 2015. So it appears that another party did think of the idea first (LOL).
Jerry Meek

reverb

Post by Jerry Meek »

the first reverb I ever heard many years ago A friend of had a 59 fender bassman he had installed a realistic brand reverb unit he mounted in the bottom of the amp.and I was blown away what his Gibson RS335 sounded like wished I could recreate that one but ended up with a 1965 Super Reverb instead.
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

Or you could try the venerable old Fender stand-alone reverb unit...

Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I was wondering if someone was going to mention the Fender stand alone reverb. I used to play surf guitar and used one all the time. It is superior to the reverb in most amps (except custom shop fenders from the 90's) because it has 3 knobs: Mix, dwell and tone. You can get an array of lush reverb tones from it by fiddling w/the knobs. The one drawback is, that, you have to put it on a stable platform or it'll jangle with every vibration (kick drums etc) that occurs. It is electrical and mechanical, just like the reverb in a fender amp (not simulated) And really does a wonderful job.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Bobby Nelson wrote:I was wondering if someone was going to mention the Fender stand alone reverb.

So was I...

Kicking the verb tank was part of the song...

But then came the Danelectro Spring King:

Note the "kick pad" on the pedal for that tank kick effect.

The Lil Lanilei:

Spring King wipeout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmWpFbDeT8

Demeter made the Reverbulator:

Runs off a wall wart..
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Steven Husting

Post by Steven Husting »

b0b

Post by b0b »

The Webb steel guitar amp had a remote reverb knob in a little box that clipped onto the leg of your guitar. Very handy!
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video