Buddy Emmons and Pat Martino

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Nelson

Buddy Emmons and Pat Martino

Post by Richard Nelson »

Buddy learned the octave displacement lick from Pat Martino. This improvisational device was only taught in GIT in Hollywood at that time and was not available in book format. On the Emmons website he talked about them making an album together. Does anyone know how closely they collaborated ? How close was the album away from being made? Did Buddy and Pat get together in LA when Buddy lived there ?
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I'm no expert, but I think it was Buddy who shied away from the recording project. and I don't think he really got into Martino until he was back in Nashville, after the L.A. years.

there's a photo of Buddy and Pat together, presumably at one of Pat's workshops but again I'm not positive.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Scott, I think you're right about the timing.
I made a cassette copy of Pat's "Joyous Lake" (1976), at Buddy's, and if I remember correctly, that was the only record he had of his, though he could have had some tapes.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I believe this two -part article "The Pocket Corner" & "Minor Abrasions In The Pockets" was first published in Guitar Player Magazine and then reprinted in Steel Guitar Magazine and now available on BuddyEmmons.com (Ernie Renn's website). Emmons also attended a Pat Martino seminar (St.Louis?) and I think the picture Chris Templeton posted is from that seminar. I'm sure Emmons learned a great deal of this method straight off the records.

http://www.buddyemmons.com/MinorPockets.htm

Here is Pat Martino explaining the counterpoint lick first heard used by Emmons on "Buddy Emmons Live '77, vol. 1,2" (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Nny4db27c

As fast and involved as Martino plays - his music is very exciting and entertaining. He has a deep R&B / soul jazz background probably from his days with Brother Jack McDuff and this always brings his music back home. Type "Brother Jack Mcduff - Pat Martino" into YouTube and your troubles be gone.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Chris Templeton wrote:Scott, I think you're right about the timing.
I made a cassette copy of Pat's "Joyous Lake" (1976), at Buddy's, and if I remember correctly, that was the only record he had of his, though he could have had some tapes.
From the 1976 LP, Joyous Lake, "Mardi Gras". The Big E did an excellent cover of this on the double live LP from the 1977 St. Louis convention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-IFK7oRpoA

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Yes, Genn. Good one!
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

This post spiked my interest in Pat Martinos playing so I have done a little research on him. Wow, an amazing player and teacher, very illuminating.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Chris's picture above was taken when Pat Martino
came into St Louis to give a guitar clinic.
Buddy got wind of it and drove
up from Nashville to attend.
Late '70's, I recollect.
BTW, that is DeWitt Jr (Scottys
son) in the middle rear.
~Rw
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

In the third video at the bottom of this link, Buddy talks about recording his Jazz album in New York. He also talks about being asked to record with Pat Martino. Very interesting!

Bob T.
https://www.steelguitarmovie.com/buddy-emmons
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Never seen those interviews before, I've always felt these insights & experiences of Buddy's are compelling, inspiring & very interesting..wish there were more. Robert Kramer, I wish you would write a biography of The Big E..you'd do it justice! Thanks for sharing This thread guys.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

There is a Buddy bio in the works, thank goodness.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster