New To The Steel Guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Wendler

New To The Steel Guitar

Post by Ron Wendler »

I have played the 6 string guitar since I was 12. I'm not a lead player by any means but have played in several country groups as a rhythm and vocal player, over the years. These were local area groups and it was an enjoyable time in my life. I have always loved the sound of the steel guitar in country music. It tugs on my heart when I hear it. I have always be of the persuasion that I could never do that instrument. Both because of finances and skill. Recently I learned there was such a thing as a Lap Steel. This is an instrument that may be my beginning to the Steel Guitar World. I researched it and found they were not difficult to build. Especially if one has wood working abilities and proper tools. Both I do possess. For the build, I cannibalized a cheaply made electric guitar, acquired from a garage sale and went to work. I've attached a pic on my progress. At this point a question comes to mind as to where do I obtain Beginners Lessons to learn to play this contraption I am building??? In my area of Southern MN, I know of nobody that plays a steel or gives lessons. Has anyone had any experience with on line lessons or DVDs?
A fine instrument is like a lady. Treat it nice and it will make lovely music.
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

I'd suggest picking a tuning that works for the music you want to play and stick with it for a while.

C6 is very popular, but there are others too. C6 may have the most material for learning.
Ron Wendler

Post by Ron Wendler »

I am going to string up for C6 tuning as what I've found it has more information about learning to play as you mention. I would like to find something on line for lessons aimed at beginners with all the basics
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I would like to find something on line for lessons aimed at beginners with all the basics
Troy Brenningmeyer has some good "day one" beginner C6 videos on line: https://www.lessonswithtroy.com/C6-Lap- ... art-A.html
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

The steel guitar is an instrument of tunings, each with it's own character, advantages and disadvantages. Whether on 6-strings or 8-strings, C6th is a terrific tuning for traditional country music. The standard 6-string C6th tuning is (low to hi) CEGACE. Troy's starter lessons are excellent. Doug B. also has some easy arrangement books that can help you play songs right off the bat. Later on, after you've been playing a bit, check out Mike Neer's teaching and my C6th book.

The most important thing to know is that while there are many similarities to standard guitar,(many of us here play standard guitar) there are fundamental differences that make the steel a world of it's own. With Troy's beginner videos you can see, hear and understand the musical concepts as they relate to steel guitar.

Watch videos of players like Jerry Byrd, Basil Henriques, and Doug Beaumier. These guys all have superb technique. If you start the right way, you won't have to go back and correct bad habits later.

Welcome to the steel guitar - the world's most wonderful, confounding, addictive instrument! Jump on in, ask questions and have fun!
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

That is a very nice LS you built yourself! KUDOS!!
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

John Ely teaches non-pedal via Skype and I hear good things about his method.

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com
Last edited by John McClung on 20 Jul 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ron Wendler

Post by Ron Wendler »

Great advise you guys. Like Is aid I have played guitar since I was 12 and never caught on to how to play up the kneck. My son taught himself in college and watched others down at a music store. He is very good. This Lap Steel is a chance for me to learn on an instrument I can handle. And as you guys say, it's in world of its own from the guitar. I truely love the sound and grew up with it in the older Country music
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I would like to find something on line for lessons aimed at beginners with all the basics
Troy Brenningmeyer has some good "day one" beginner C6 videos on line: https://www.lessonswithtroy.com/C6-Lap- ... art-A.html
Kudos to Doug for mentioning Troy. He doe have good offerings.
After you get one or two of his lessons under your belt, you have got to get one or both Doug's CD/tab sets.

Absolutely.
Ron Wendler

Post by Ron Wendler »

I bought the first four lessons on his. Looking forward to start. Waiting for tuners to finish my build.