--

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I would say after 26 years of playing my 10th string gets used the least. However, if one string breaks I feel like I have lost a major part of playing. John, as time goes along you will find more use for the other strings and string combinations. 4,6 and 10 makes a nice combination as well as 4,5 and 9. I find personally that the 9th string gets used a lot in my playing just as the 1st and 2nd string do. I use 4,5 and 6 as my base strings for the E9th but there is so much that can be done. Just look at what Buddy Emmons has come up with on that tuning.
Tom Stolaski

Post by Tom Stolaski »

I remember playing a gig with Mark van Allen when we first started playing steel. A veteran steel guitarist walked up and told us that he knew we were new to steel guitar because we were only playing strings 3,4 and 5. Image
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I never was a fan of the 3rd string. I only use it if I absolutely need it to work out an arrangement on a gospel song. I really favor the lower strings and, like was stated above, I usually work around the 4th, 5th and 6th string grips. I tried an extended E9th tuning at one time just to get the lower 2 strings. I do quite a bit with the 8th and 10th string combination and it would be neat to be able to grab that 12th string if it was there.
Erv