Bobby Black

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Gorman

Bobby Black

Post by Steve Gorman »

Last Sunday I had the pleasure of listening to Bobby Black sitting in with Marble Heart, in Hollister Ca. His laid back friendliness is legendary, what a great dude.

He mentioned to me that he recorded an all Hawaiian album a few years back, but that it was no longer available on CD Baby, and he didn't have any copies with him.

Dang! I would really like to get a copy of this! Does anyone know how or where I could track one down?
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Is this the one?

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Black-The ... se/7169390

or

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Guitar-Bob ... B0009J8XTM

Great album! If he was referring to a different one then I would like to know.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

No, not that one. More recent that that, he told me he recorded it a few years ago at his son's studio.

I agree with you Jeff, that is a great record! It's on all my devices and I listen to it a lot.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

http://www.slacker.com/album/bobby-blac ... r-paradise from 2010.

I found this. I guess you have to join for the radio station, I dunno. I tried to play a selection and it just reverts to the other CD mentioned earlier.

Maybe some help on the title and cuts???
Pat Hattic

Steel Guitar Paradise

Post by Pat Hattic »

Steve,Pat Hattic here, I have the CD. Send me a private message.
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:http://www.slacker.com/album/bobby-blac ... r-paradise from 2010.

I found this. I guess you have to join for the radio station, I dunno. I tried to play a selection and it just reverts to the other CD mentioned earlier.

Maybe some help on the title and cuts???
Yeah, that's the right picture, title, and track list in that link.

I actually worked with Bobby on the album (I play guitar and chromatic harmonica on a few of the cuts, and my wife Penny Hanna plays bass on a few of the cuts as well). I've been meaning to ask Bobby if he's ever promoted this album here on the forum, since I know he has tons of fans here.

The CD "Steel Guitar Paradise" was released in 2010 and Bobbie's playing is fantastic, of course (it's all lap steel, btw). Really nice album!

- Slim.
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The album "The Steel Guitar of Bobby Black" so profoundly affected my approach to melodic playing that I called Bobby, who's been a friend since the Commander Cody days, and told him the album changed the way I think about steel guitar.

His profound response was "oh man... come on. Be serious." :lol: Typical modesty from BB.

That album, to me, ranks with Jimmy Day's "Steel and Strings," Buddy's "Emmons Guitar Inc.", and Lloyd's "Mr. Nashville Sound" as my personal instructive examples of how to play steel guitar.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Slim Heilpern wrote:I actually worked with Bobby on the album (I play guitar and chromatic harmonica on a few of the cuts, and my wife Penny Hanna plays bass on a few of the cuts as well). I've been meaning to ask Bobby if he's ever promoted this album here on the forum, since I know he has tons of fans here.

The CD "Steel Guitar Paradise" was released in 2010 and Bobbie's playing is fantastic, of course (it's all lap steel, btw). Really nice album!
- Slim.
Hats off to you. I have that CD (handed to me personally by BB himself) and enjoy it both as a learning tool and for the pure enjoyment of listening to a master.

Since Bobby's other album also gets so many references here in the forum, I thought maybe posting a tube link for one of the tunes from it would be in order. Besame Mucho with a bossa to swing transition. Amazingly, it works.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3guj4IrQZ5U
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Bobby just subbed for me on the 8th in the Rhythm Riders and the leaders of the band were worried that he wouldn't do the parts like I did them. I said are you kidding me it's Bobby Black!!! He will do way cooler stuff than me. Definitely one of my heros
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Yep great guy and great player. We've been good friends for years. I'll never forget when he drove down to L.A. to play at Joaquin Murphey's funeral in 1999 and we spent a couple days together. A highlight of my life was when we both played at the 2nd Lapstravaganza non-pedal show in Santa Cruz about 10 years ago. I see him whenever I can which is not nearly enough. Not everyone knows he's a great singer too.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

One recorded example of his singing: "Mom and Dad's Waltz" on the Jim Campilongo Almost Christmas CD.

(A short CD but great! Also great playing by Bobby (and Jim) throughout.)

Bobby's one of my top 5 favorite steel players. (Jim C. is also one of my favorite guitar players--can't put a number to that!)