Steel Guitar in Chicago?

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Hay Joosten

Steel Guitar in Chicago?

Post by Hay Joosten »

Hi everyone,

I am moving from my beloved LA to Chicago... I will dearly miss Jim @ SGNC, JD Maness jamming at the Cantina, McCabe's and the wonderful slide concoctions they offer, and so many other things, but am excited to get settled in our new city.

Calling on the community: any steel players, shows, events, repair, shops, that I should be know about in the Chicago area?

Thanks!

Hay
Dave Flanagan

Post by Dave Flanagan »

Hey Hay check out southernillinoisproduction.org we have a big 3 day show every april
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Chicago has a great music community, but pedal steel is a bit hard to find.

Great music store - Chicago Music Exchange

Great club for a wide array of music, but often featuring roots, Americana, country, bluegrass - the Hideout.

Music school/music community/amazing auditorium for local & touring acts - the Old Town School of Folk Music.
Paul Wade

steel chicago

Post by Paul Wade »

i am forming a classic country band now. i also teach
pedal steel here at my home in lake county illinios
there is some steel around but out side of chicago
here a email i got from a drumer:

I hope this email address gets through to you, Mr Wade. I also hope i dint talk your ear off. I have a tendency to do that. Glenn Davis, who still is the owner of The Silver Moon, in Darien, right out west of Delavan, plays at Harry's, in Lake Geneva, which is on Main St (hwy 50), on the south side of the street, on Wednesday nights, where he hosts a Blues jam session. He also used to do one in Richmond Illinois on Sunday afternoons, right on old hwy 12, on the west side of the road, as you're going north of 173. If for any reason you wish to start visiting jam sessions there are dozens now, as bars dont want to pay a band. The bar owners would rather pay one guy $100 to host, and have all his friends buy drinks when they come in to play. Bender's in Sliver Lake has one on Sunday afternoon, from 3 to 7, and another on Friday nights, from 9 to 1 am. Cuda's in Antioch/Fox Lake area, on Grass Lake road has a Tuesday night session, hosted by J.B. Ritchie from 8 to 12. There are two in McHenry still, I think. There is a woman singer named Michelle Ribicki (rye-bick-ee), that had one in McHenry and another in Round Lake, but I think I heard her say that she wasn't doing them any more. There are maybe about 100 more that i can think of. The talent is scattered with some hit or miss no-shows. Call me if you have any questions (!!). I do not link my phone to my emails or facebook, as I cannot stand the thing beeping all the time. I check this email once or twice a day. Thanks again, Paul, ttyl !!
will let you know more
p.w
James Flaherty

Post by James Flaherty »

Wow, this thread is bringing back memories. I used to work at the Old Town School of Folk Music as their representative for their Extensions Program.

There is a music store there also. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction. If Bill Hansen is still around and playing he'd be a great teacher. I took guitar lessons from him for a couple of years before I went to Pedal Steel. Good luck and enjoy the city.
Hay Joosten

Re: steel chicago

Post by Hay Joosten »

Paul Wade wrote:i am forming a classic country band now. i also teach
pedal steel here at my home in lake county illinios
there is some steel around but out side of chicago
p.w
Paul, let me know when your band is coming together, I would love to sit in on a jam or rehearsal, or come to a show. I am learning on PSG, but I played guitar for 25 yrs so I'm half way decent there ;)

Thanks everyone for the responses! Keep 'em coming!
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

If 'Steel near Chicago' will do, Nelson Wynn and DW/s Junction will be presenting a
show featuring Paul Franklin, Brent Mason, Robbie Turner & Chuck Ward on August 6th.

~> click

click ~> tickets
Hay Joosten

Post by Hay Joosten »

Yes, Steel near Chicago will do. I actually moved to NW suburbs, but everything seems pretty driveable.

That show looks awesome, it is on the agenda! Thank you!
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Check out Brian Wilkie playing his P/P Emmons with the Hoyle Brothers. They play at a bar called the Empty Bottle every Friday for Happy Hour.
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

My friend Mike Redmond has a band in the Chicago area that sometimes appears with a steel player, depending on the gig.
Check out their schedule, etc at Redmondsmusic.com
William Polka

Post by William Polka »

You're gonna love the winter
James Flaherty

Post by James Flaherty »

Hi Eric,

Went to the Redmondmusic.com website and it for an Eric Redmond. Are they related? Thanks.
James Flaherty

Post by James Flaherty »

Never mind. I left out the 's' in Redmonds. Maybe he has a piano playing relative. lol