country music

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Johan Bandling Melin

Post by Johan Bandling Melin »

Savell wrote:The problem with classic country right now is that no one is writing and producing new “old country” style material that the market wants to pay for.
I hear ya! We do about 50% originals but as you say there's no money in it. If you want to play country music traditional style you'd better keep your day job!

In our band we do our best to keep it country (we all have day jobs) and we just released our second album. Here's an original song we shot a live video of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGEZIiZWuyk

And here's the album cover made by the amazing Chris Wilkinson (who also used to play guitar for Charlie Thompson, Ameripolitan winner and great country singer!). Chris sure knows his retro style! Check him out if you want a retro designed cover for your next country album.
71 Emmons D-10, 73 Sho-Bud S-10
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

Savell wrote:Lots of whining and no energy spent on doing anything about it. There is always a market for good music. When the right ones put their money where their heart is, the market will re-act. The problem with classic country right now is that no one is writing and producing new “old country” style material that the market wants to pay for.

I care nothing about setting for hours listening to the same ole songs from forty years ago. To hear a few is nice and takes me back. But give me some of the new country that doesn’t get covered up with grunge guitar and it sounds every bit as good as the 70’s.

With today’s social media options and the in-expensive home studios, there is no reason to listen to stuff you don’t like. Find the sound you like and listen to it 24/7. Pick the songs you can learn the chords to and play them. Happiness is relative.

Your last paragraph is spot on.

People have to remember we live in a different world now.

Top 10 Best-Selling Country Albums of 2016

Chris Stapleton – Traveller – 1,085,000
Blake Shelton – If I’m Honest – 540,000
Joey + Rory – Hymns – 518,000
Garth Brooks – The Ultimate Collection – 421,000
Keith Urban – Ripcord – 412,000
Florida Georgia Line – Dig Your Roots – 325,000
Jason Aldean – They Don’t Know – 305,000
Sam Hunt – Montevallo – 284,000
Thomas Rhett – Tangled Up – 266,000
Carrie Underwood –Storyteller – 256,000

Those are the top selling albums of 2016. People are paying cash for these albums. As long as people are making money that's what the radio and award shows are going to give you.

Seems like our real gripe is with today's audiences. There's traditional artists out there but that's not what the free market wants.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Nice looking 'Bud there, Johan, though it doesn't look like an S-10. Love the album cover, too...

While we're talking Dale Watson and the short list of "real" country music, let's not forget Marty Stuart & the Superlatives. I saw Jennifer Nettles on TV the other night with Dan Galysh on steel - seems she hasn't homed for the middle of the road yet.
Graham

Post by Graham »

And none of those top 10 album singers will still be making albums 20,30 or 40 years from now, the way the old time artists did.

With the exception of a couple, most won't even have their names remembered.
Rebel�
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

And none of those top 10 album singers will still be making albums 20,30 or 40 years from now, the way the old time artists did.

With the exception of a couple, most won't even have their names remembered
I'll remember them the next time I get hungry...

Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I think Bill Wyman startet this trend, Barry.
https://olympia.london/visiting/food-dr ... ky-fingers
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Johan Bandling Melin

Frank Freniere wrote:Nice looking 'Bud there, Johan, though it doesn't look like an S-10. Love the album cover, too...

While we're talking Dale Watson and the short list of "real" country music, let's not forget Marty Stuart & the Superlatives. I saw Jennifer Nettles on TV the other night with Dan Galysh on steel - seems she hasn't homed for the middle of the road yet.
Thanks Frank! I'm actually playing the guitar in this band so you're correct it is a D10 Sho-Bud Permanent from 1964 and it's Peter Andersson playing that beautiful guitar.

Of course Marty Stuart and the boys are doing a great job keeping it alive!
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

I call todays country music CRAP for country rap.
Nashville has done just like the song, He's gone country, by letting people who can't make it anywhere else record, and call it country.
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyyEB3jv-Q

Brand new. What do you guys think?
Johan Bandling Melin

Mark Hershey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyyEB3jv-Q

I can't see the clip (maybe it's because I'm European?) but by the title my guess is that it's a Zephaniah Ohora song from his album This Highway?

Zephaniah and Jim Campilongo really nailed that late 60's Bakersfield/Merle Haggard sound.
Johan Bandling Melin

I'm really looking forward to hear Joshua Hedley's album when it's out. I guess it will be in the late 60's/early 70's style. He did a great performance at The Grand Ole Opry House a couple of weeks ago with a killer band.

Here's a from the American Songwriter Magazine about Josh signing for Jack White's label Third Man Records. There's also a soundcloud link in the article to a great country ballad with a great steel intro: https://americansongwriter.com/2017/06/ ... instagram/
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

Johan Bandling Melin wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyyEB3jv-Q

I can't see the clip (maybe it's because I'm European?) but by the title my guess is that it's a Zephaniah Ohora song from his album This Highway?

Zephaniah and Jim Campilongo really nailed that late 60's Bakersfield/Merle Haggard sound.
Yeah, it was a link to his song My Mama Sang. I love it and I agree he has that bakersfield sound going. I love the production from what I've heard of that album so far.
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

Johan Bandling Melin wrote:I'm really looking forward to hear Joshua Hedley's album when it's out. I guess it will be in the late 60's/early 70's style. He did a great performance at The Grand Ole Opry House a couple of weeks ago with a killer band.

Here's a from the American Songwriter Magazine about Josh signing for Jack White's label Third Man Records. There's also a soundcloud link in the article to a great country ballad with a great steel intro: https://americansongwriter.com/2017/06/ ... instagram/
WOW! That intro was amazing.
Richard Lester

Country

Post by Richard Lester »

Nashville is not a common word in my household anymore. Since they went to a modern style which reflects the pop scene, I've rejected their music. I do not buy or listen to the new artists in todays' market. I still like definition and character in the kind of music I grew up with. I may be old but I don't need no rocking chair.
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Man, I think you guys just proved that you have to look outside of Nashville to hear really good current country music or maybe just on the side streets of Nashville.

Love all the examples posted in this thread, and one last thought, Stop listening to the radio :)
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

My latest discovery is Colter Wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yp-KYfdZrs
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Martin for the link, he has a very distinctive voice great song too.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

Martin Abend wrote:My latest discovery is Colter Wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yp-KYfdZrs
Very nice! I just listened to a play list of his stuff and he's great.
Graham

Post by Graham »

As Damir Said:
now after watching this video, you tell me this garbage coming out of Nashville today is country music

Same can be said for this garbage coming out of Canada!
Rebel�
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

A common thread from classic country and today's country music is the promotion of alcohol.
I think these this factors into the thinking of the "suits" who make the decisions about what get's played these days.
In the back of a pickup with the babe and some alcohol.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5